Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Evaporation marks on primary ?

The primary mirror of my 12" Lightbridge got well and truly dewed up the other night. I let it dry gently but it seems to have picked up a fair few evaporation marks across the surface (dirty dew ??) - it looks a little "mottled" when the light catches it at certain angles.

I know the usual advice is not to clean the mirror unless it's really dirty but I'm wondering if these marks would noticably affect the performance of the mirror ?.

I should probably just forget about them but I've a tendancy (which I'm trying to control of course :( ) to be a bit "fussy" over the condition of my optics.

Another thought that has struck me, when I eventually do need to clean the mirror and / or get it re-coated, how easy is it to remove the mirror from it's cell ?. The Lightbridges use GSO optics (same as Revelation and Telescope Services dobs) and their mirror cells are the same design I believe, ie: a 9 point cell for the 12". The mirror appears to be sit on 9 small pads - are they sticky or will it just lift out ?.

Thanks,

John

Archived