NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pelican (Ha)SHO starless

Magnus_e

Hi everyone :)

So here is my first attempt at a starless nebula.

Processed in PI. I used the morpological transformation and starmasking for a few iterations, redooing the starmask as the stars was dissappering.

I removed the stars for the L(Ha) channel and the SHO independently before LRGB combining.

If you zoom in, you will see som yellow star remnants, but at 1x1 view it works ok?

Let me know what you think, and please let me know if you see something I can improve.

Pelican_ic5070-(Ha)SHO_nostars-portrait4x3.thumb.png.1ac87e435cf47beb9e55e85ba3252c7c.png

And the original starred version.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, alan potts said:

I prefer it with stars but interesting result

Alan

I think they perhaps should not be compared?

The star version is a true astrophotography, while the starless version is a statement in artistic freedom. Even more so than the usual prosessing?

I like both, but with different merits. 

Just now, Adreneline said:

Very nice.

I'm a fan of a well produced starless image - just as I am of a well produced star filled image - both have a place for me in helping us appreciate the structure and beauty of these nebula.

Thanks for sharing.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian :)

I am rather partial to a starless image if it is done well, and this one is done very well. I think it shows the structure of the nebula much better without the stars distracting from the image. Lovely images, thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phillyo said:

I am rather partial to a starless image if it is done well, and this one is done very well. I think it shows the structure of the nebula much better without the stars distracting from the image. Lovely images, thanks for sharing.

Thanks, mee to. 

I think the first starless image i have seen was the Pelican nebula. I think ths object lends it self to having the stars removed. 

Happy to se you think it's done well. It did take me some time to get it done, so nice with some feedback.