NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First time observing Jupiter & Saturn with a scope

Aquavit

Last night saw an unexpected break in the cloud, I'd left my little MAK outside on the off chance so was ready to go as the opportunity arose.

Because of the low elevation I had to position myself across the road on the edge of a field to avoid the treeline, but this only added to the last minute excitement!

I think I'm beginning to get the hang of handling the scope/mount combination, finding the target with the RDF as well as switching between my two eyepieces. Starting with the 20mm I amazed myself by quickly being able to observe and focus on Jupiter, the moons being easily visible and some slight shading of the bands. No GRS though. Switching to the 10mm gave me a slightly larger view but I couldn't obtain satisfactory focus, I assume this is due to the low elevation and atmospherics?

The biggest thrill though was seeing Saturn and the distinction between the planet and its rings, very pleased with this but of course would have liked a closer/larger view and, like Jupiter, a little more clarity.

I then had a go at Mars, but other than a few fleeting views had very little success, finding it difficult to locate and then focus on. Quite high in the sky and smaller than my last attempt of a week or so ago.

All in all a pleasing first effort at the gas giants and a confidence boost that, weather permitting, I can achieve some decent observing of the closest conjunction in a few days time.

• Like 6

I had a similar experience a week or so ago. Delighted to see those 4 moons and the clear distinction between Saturn and its rings. Looking forward to seeing it again if I get the right conditions, though how low they are in the sky doesn't help.

• Like 3

Nice post .

I am blighted by houses now when it comes to Jupiter and Saturn .. but they have been lovely sights (if a little low) over the last few months . 

Aquavit, Mars is actually quite challenging to easily see detail ,  so don't despair . Lets face it , just being able to see anything is a plus after the terrible weather we have been subjected to.

I will remember viewing the various phases of Venus this year and also catching my first glimpse at Mercury . 

Clear skies . 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Aquavit said:

Last night saw an unexpected break in the cloud, I'd left my little MAK outside on the off chance so was ready to go as the opportunity arose.

Because of the low elevation I had to position myself across the road on the edge of a field to avoid the treeline, but this only added to the last minute excitement!

I think I'm beginning to get the hang of handling the scope/mount combination, finding the target with the RDF as well as switching between my two eyepieces. Starting with the 20mm I amazed myself by quickly being able to observe and focus on Jupiter, the moons being easily visible and some slight shading of the bands. No GRS though. Switching to the 10mm gave me a slightly larger view but I couldn't obtain satisfactory focus, I assume this is due to the low elevation and atmospherics?

The biggest thrill though was seeing Saturn and the distinction between the planet and its rings, very pleased with this but of course would have liked a closer/larger view and, like Jupiter, a little more clarity.

I then had a go at Mars, but other than a few fleeting views had very little success, finding it difficult to locate and then focus on. Quite high in the sky and smaller than my last attempt of a week or so ago.

All in all a pleasing first effort at the gas giants and a confidence boost that, weather permitting, I can achieve some decent observing of the closest conjunction in a few days time.

Nice result.

A 10mm stock eyepiece will be challenged with planets close to the horizon. In two or three years they will be in better constellations.
Mars is receding quite quickly from its closest approach and is noticeably smaller than it was. Although it is higher than the others, it will still need some good seeing to get the required magnification.
But any night that you get to see Saturn's rings is worth it 😀

• Like 2

Jealous you managed Saturn- I had to cloud and rain dodge last night but managed the best view of Mars with a 10mm -its all about luck and opportunity at the end of the day. Keep up the good work 

J

Edited by jacobingonzo
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to see them on Sunday 20th.  I wasn't expecting much, because I'd read that it was difficult when they are that low on the sky, but it seemed as if it was especially clear that evening, because the view was good with no wobble due to atmosphere.  (another night I saw that and then realised what people were talking about).  My grown up son came to see me, and we spent an hour or so looking around, but started off with the two planets.  The moons were clear and we counted 5 moons, i later found that we were looking at a star that was in the same plane  :)

It might be 'seeing what we expected', but we were sure we could find the division in Saturn's rings, and even a bit of detail on Jupiter other that just a disc.  

Merry Christmas by the way.  I just nipped on here for a quick couple of minutes in between cooking the Christmas dinner.  The Turkey is in the oven, and all seems to be progressing well, which probably means I've forgotten something.  Sons and their other halves (+grandson 6 months)  are joining us for lunch.  We've all isolated over the past few weeks so we can do this. We were going to be joined by my mum, but she is confined to the care home as they found she tested positive for covid yesterday, it will be an odd dinner without her here. Ah well, we'll raise a glass to better times.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Capt Slog said:

I managed to see them on Sunday 20th.  I wasn't expecting much, because I'd read that it was difficult when they are that low on the sky, but it seemed as if it was especially clear that evening, because the view was good with no wobble due to atmosphere.  (another night I saw that and then realised what people were talking about).  My grown up son came to see me, and we spent an hour or so looking around, but started off with the two planets.  The moons were clear and we counted 5 moons, i later found that we were looking at a star that was in the same plane  :)

It might be 'seeing what we expected', but we were sure we could find the division in Saturn's rings, and even a bit of detail on Jupiter other that just a disc.  

Merry Christmas by the way.  I just nipped on here for a quick couple of minutes in between cooking the Christmas dinner.  The Turkey is in the oven, and all seems to be progressing well, which probably means I've forgotten something.  Sons and their other halves (+grandson 6 months)  are joining us for lunch.  We've all isolated over the past few weeks so we can do this. We were going to be joined by my mum, but she is confined to the care home as they found she tested positive for covid yesterday, it will be an odd dinner without her here. Ah well, we'll raise a glass to better times.

Glad to see you had an enjoyable session viewing with your son. Sharing the universe above us is a special thing. 

Merry Christmas, and I'll say a prayer for your mother!

Edited by maw lod qan
  • Like 2

Since my original post there hasn't been any opportunity for observing here in Hungary, virtually every day 100% cloud cover. Nobody told me this when I bought my scope!

Anyway, Clear Skies are predicting as such tomorrow evening so I hope to be out again at last. Are the two planets still close enough to see together with a scope?

Try Stellarium , using the Oculars setting.

If you input your scope settings and eyepiece you will get an accurate rendering of what you can see.

Right now both fit in an 800mm scope with a 10mm eyepiece

With your 1300 fl scope you will need around 15mm eyepiece to get both.

In a day or so will need 20mm eyepiece

• Thanks 1

The forecast turned out to be correct so I set off just before dusk to the highest point in the village and set the scope up facing uninterrupted views toward the horizon. Jupiter became visible well before the orange glow of sunset had faded and aligning the scope on the target confirmed it was indeed the gas giant with the moons also easily observed.

Whilst I awaited darker skies and the appearance of Saturn I trained my MAK on to the moon to try out my new eyepieces. The zoom providing very clear views at the lower power end of the scale, but the 32mm Psossl was a revelation with lovely crisp definition and the moon filling just the right amount of the lens. A real delight.

Having limbered up with some lunar viewing the scope was then turned south west to face the main event of the evening whilst the planets were still at a reasonable altitude. Using the 32mm eyepiece did indeed capture both planets, exactly as indicated on the post above from fifeskies, the Jovian moons very bright and Saturns rings just discernible. I tried the zoom eyepiece to increase magnification for single planetary observation but to no real gain as the fuzziness also increased.

All in all I came away feeling very pleased, I managed to get the tail end of the conjunction in good skies and to observe something that was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I hope others have been as lucky.

Edited by Aquavit
  • Like 3