Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade 130eq polaris

New but loving hobby, some things about new scope....eyepiece (all) have slight wobble even when locked down was gonna try electric tape around body.  Finderscope mount awful cannot adjust enuff to calibrate with eyeliece....got telrad coming. Is all this to be expected on beginner 350 buck scope? Support God awful

It seems that you have been a little unfortunate, but at least you have followed advice given in your earlier thread and ordered a Telrad, so that’s one problem soon to be rectified. Not sure why the eyepieces do not sit tight when clamped in, are you saying they are still loose after tightening the locking screws? It seems odd because they are spaced well apart and it’s hard to see how after tightening both of them that there can be any play in the eyepiece.

Edited by Moonshed

16 minutes ago, Dtfvmd said:

Only tightening screw on one side

Are you saying you are only tightening  one of the screws or that you only have one screw? I think you mean you only have one screw. Once you have tightened it are you saying the eyepiece still moves around?

I purchased the Meade 130 Polaris about 3 years ago. It has 2 screws to secure the eyepiece (I added a third for imaging purposes). The aim of the red dot finder can be initially set using the 2 screws that attach it to the scope tube. Following that the finder adjustment screws provide fine tuning, with subsequent accurate pointing. Of course not everyone likes a red dot finder.

It's a pretty good scope with an EQ2 mount having tubular legs, though still rather wobbly.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Dtfvmd said:

Only one screw

Apart from the advice I have given above I will add some more. You now have three threads running at the same time all dealing with problems with the one scope you own. It’s not necessary to spread yourself out like that, it’s easier if you stick to one thread , it’s all this subject requires, and will most likely get resolved quicker.

Also, when members have gone to the time and trouble to give you some good advice, as we have in your other two threads, as a courtesy you should reply instead of not responding and opening up more threads.

On 14/12/2020 at 02:08, Dtfvmd said:

Meade 130eq declination ring freely moves by hand (scope stationary) shouldn't this be fixed? What's the use of this ring?

Hello, are you still there? Have you managed to sort out your RA and DEC rings?

On 14/12/2020 at 02:08, Dtfvmd said:

Meade 130eq declination ring freely moves by hand (scope stationary) shouldn't this be fixed? What's the use of this ring?

The DEC setting circle (the one nearest the telescope, graduated 0-90) shouldn't move freely, unlike the RA (graduated 0-24) which can be rotated by handset when the RA clutch is unlocked. Both setting circle are too small to be of any real use and at best won't even get you in the ballpark (probably the football field next to the ballpark)

How to use setting circles on a small telescope (and why they don't work!) - YouTube