Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ5 controller won't start up

DanLXIX

Long time no see from me. It's been 18 months since I've been able to dig out my gear and I finally got the chance last night so I thought I'd set up and check everything out. 

Physically everything is good, but the EQ5 controller won't start up properly - it lights up the hand controller and beeps and then that is it. It's connected to a fully charged power pack that I was using before so I don't think it's that. Has anyone seen this happen? This video shows it.

To add to my challenges, I've now moved to Denmark so I'm not sure at the moment where I would go to get this repaired.

Edited by DanLXIX
Fixed the URL

31 minutes ago, DanLXIX said:

Long time no see from me. It's been 18 months since I've been able to dig out my gear and I finally got the chance last night so I thought I'd set up and check everything out. 

Physically everything is good, but the EQ5 controller won't start up properly - it lights up the hand controller and beeps and then that is it. It's connected to a fully charged power pack that I was using before so I don't think it's that. Has anyone seen this happen? This video shows it.

To add to my challenges, I've now moved to Denmark so I'm not sure at the moment where I would go to get this repaired.

The video seems to show a slipping clutch, not a problem with the handset..

1st test is to put the power supply directly into the handset & see if then boots ok... 

If it doesn't I'd be suspect of the supply, batteries do lose the ability to supply charge over time, especially if not used\kept topped up.

If it does work ok, then I'd start to suspect the motor drive box, unplug the DIN connector & try again.

Is the cable connected to the correct port on the handset ?  The manual for the hand controller suggests that the port on the right is the one to connect to the mount.  You have the cable connected to the "multi-purpose" port 

handset.png.0e9ef03c4f23ab52276ae9053f11d0af.png

If by plugging the handset has caused damage to the motor board and you get the "both axis no response" message - have a read of this https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/351363-any-ideas-on-repairing-a-slightly-blown-motor-board/  - It could still be repaired

Edited by malc-c
added image

8 minutes ago, malc-c said:

Is the cable connected to the correct port on the handset ?  The manual for the hand controller suggests that the port on the right is the one to connect to the mount.  You have the cable connected to the "multi-purpose" port 

The handset wouldn't power up if the cable was connected to the serial data socket and the handset to mount cable (RJ45) wouldn't fit in the smaller socket.

ps The video shows that the cable is plugged into the correct socket for that version of the handset. (v3)

Peter, that is true.   It's Dobsonians control boards that have that issue as the RJ11 can fit into the larger RJ45 that connects to the Alt motor 

Just ignore me... haven't had my morning coffee yet so not firing on all cylinders !

It's worth adding that I had the WIFI adaptor on before which wasn't powering up, so I put the handset on. I also tried powering it from a 12v PSU but that was only a 1A supply so I don't know if that is enough, but I got the same result.

This may be clutching at straws, but to see if its the LCD rather than the micro controller that's packed up you might be able to connect the handset to a PC via PC-Direct cable,(be that USB or serial) and run the SW Firmware uploader application and see if it reports the firmware version of the handset.  If it does then it would suggest the handset is running but the display is faulty.  If it reports that the handset can't be detected then it would seem that the firmware in the handset has become corrupted or some component has failed.  

Now depending on the micro used (hopefully a Microchip brand) it may be possible to reflash it with the firmware.  However if the PIC has become fried it would need replacing with a blank one before being flashed.  I've repaired four motor control boards by replacing the micro-controllers and flashing them with new firmware, but never tried the same method on a hand controller before.

• Like 1

I've tried powering the handset directly and it lights up and beeps 3 times but nothing else. The WiFi adaptor doesn't power up when plugged into the unit, so I'm getting nothing from it at all. 

Looks like I'm going to have to replace it 🙄 Can you even buy these on there own? 

Yes, handsets are available from all leading retailers https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-synscan-v5-handset.html - £150

One is listed in the classifieds https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/367628-synscan-v5-hand-controller/  - £100 

If you do end up getting a replacement, don't bin your old one - drop me a PM

26 minutes ago, DanLXIX said:

It's not the handset that's the problem though, I don't use it. It's the motor control box that's faulty. I use the WiFi adaptor and drive it from my laptop. 

If that's the case then that is more repairable than the handset. https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/351363-any-ideas-on-repairing-a-slightly-blown-motor-board/

I would need to confirm that the PIC micro on the motor board is a 16f886 If so and you want me to take a look drop me a PM

• Thanks 1