Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First light with the Stellarvue 70ED

Les Tilly

Went of to a dark site last night and gave my new scope a try the stellarvue 70ED used my Canon 40d Modified as this nebula is not too bright very happy with this scope I also used the TV2008 reducer

at the end of the night I noticed I did not level my mount and it does make a difference in PHD :(

This is 3 hours 4 mins 20 flats 0 darks exposure is 23 x 8 minutes each

Enjoy Les

The Jellyfish Nebula

medium.jpg

Larger version http://www.pbase.com/t_total123/image/108514925/large

Hi Les,

I love the image. I've inspected it carefully in PS3 and the stars are just pixels :( Great stuff! During my close inspection I also found that the red and green channels have dead space on the left side in the histogram.

I also took the liberty of adjusting it a tad and doing the "good old-take out the red channel, stretch a bit- and apply as a luminosity layer - trick" I think the result looks more "black", and I don't think I've lost much detail.

I hope you don't mind! I am starved on astrophotography nowdays since it's been snowing for almost 3 weeks in a stretch now. I guess I have to live the hobby out through others :)

Like billy said ; can't wait to see what you'll get out of the kit! :grin:

12019_normal.jpeg(click to enlarge)

Subtle difference Les. I would go for the full star version, they do look beautiful in this image and actually enhance the nebula. Not always the case. Overall as stunning image, lovely colour and gentle, superb processing.

BTW, an off level mount shouldn't affect the guiding any more than a non orthogonal camera. The calibration should take care of that. My EM200 has non adjustable legs on the tripod, you can't level it!! Makes no difference except for polar aligning (the EM200 and a spirit level on the RA axis so that it is set correctly for the polar scope).

Archived