Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Nebula short exposure

Somerled7

Since May I've been gradually getting together my first proper astro-rig and getting to grips with the software. A few weeks ago I made some slight adjustments to my scope to try eliminate some star notches and I've been waiting for clear weather to test it out.  Last weekend, we finally had a reasonably clear night, so I started getting everything set up.  There then followed a comedy of errors as I struggled with polar alignment , dodgy USB connections and my laptop running out of juice because I forgot to plug it in while I was sorting the other problems.  I thought I was finally getting somewhere with imaging the Orion nebula when I tripped over the cables and disconnected the laptop, at which point I decided to call it a night.  So, this is just 5 minutes total exposure time on Orion.   Obviously not brilliant but I'm pleased with it for such a short exposure, and at least the stars now look round, which is a step forward. Any critique/suggestions for improvement welcome. 

Skywatcher HEQ5, Altair Astro 72 EDF, Canon EOS80D, Altair Astro 60mm Guide Scope, QHY5L-II Guide Camera.  PhD guiding, Backyard EOS capture software.    

Orion Nebula4.jpg

• Like 10

I would be well stoked if it were my image, I am looking at taking my first steps into DSO photography, if my first image could be half as good I will be floored. Particularly pleasing is your wider FOV than what I usually see M42 framed in, I like to see DSO’s in their environment (for lack of better term) rather than an extreme closeup as is so common with DSO images.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sunshine said:

I would be well stoked if it were my image, I am looking at taking my first steps into DSO photography, if my first image could be half as good I will be floored. Particularly pleasing is your wider FOV than what I usually see M42 framed in, I like to see DSO’s in their environment (for lack of better term) rather than an extreme closeup as is so common with DSO images.

This is an uncropped image, so is basically what you get with a 430mm scope and an APS-C sensor.  I'm sure there's a lot of faint nebulosity in the rest of the frame, but unfortunately I've not captured this with my short exposure.