Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anybody recognise this scope?

I'm afraid this is the only picture I have due to Covid restrictions. No more details available. My cousin wants it shipping over to the USA where he lives but I'm not sure it is worth it. I reckon it is probably 1990s vintage.

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-25 at 14.23.04.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks like a fairly slow 70-80 mm refractor of some kind (achromat, most likely), on something very like a sturdier EQ2 mount (and nice wooden tripod), which looks a bit like certain Tasco mounts. Any information on the silver-edged black plaque on the focuser? I would almost guess this is more like 1970s or 1980s vintage. I doubt it is worth shipping over

• Like 1

I think it might be a Swift refractor. I think it is more likely from the 1960's - 1970's or even earlier. This is a 1964 Swift 50mm refractor and you can see the similarities:

DSC_0972

There is a larger one of these involved in this 3 scope review but here branded "Eikow" and again from the 1960's:

http://www.joebergeron.com/shootout.htm

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, John said:

I think it might be a Swift refractor. I think it is more likely from the 1960's - 1970's or even earlier. This is a 1964 Swift 50mm refractor and you can see the similarities:

DSC_0972

There is a larger one of these involved in this 3 scope review but here branded "Eikow" and again from the 1960's:

It does indeed look very similar John I think that may be the Eikow/Swift. My wife will have a look next week when she visits the house - it is her deceased Aunts house and it is being cleared out. I’m currently suffering with a damaged back and can’t move at the moment.

Edited by TerryMcK
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, John said:

DSC_0972

As so often is the case, John is correct 👍😊

Here's a couple of photos below from earlier SGL threads: 

The second shot shows a scope I myself bought back around 2010, branded Greenkat.. you can see it's identical to yours, and that was an Eikow built scope.

If you search "Eikow" on SGL you will find some other threads of interest and links to threads on Cloudy Nights too.

I had a scope actually branded Eikow myself, bit can't find a photo as yet..however, the Greenkat shown below was identical  and carried the upside down "Y" shaped logo that Eikow used. I believe this brand was/is thought to have had links with Mr Takahashi back then. I

The scope is pretty much identical to the Swift 831 and as such would be a fine scope,.delivering virtually colour free, very sharp views.

Whether it's worth shipping to the States only you and yours can decide, but I doubt it would be cheap, and would need to be carefully and solidly packaged. But if it is effectively free of charge, and could be shipped over for £150 or so, it would be a lovely refractor, very well regarded in the USA, and therefore likely to be very saleable in the future , so your cousin could probably recoup his shipping outlay.

Dave

image.png

Greenkat (Swift).jpg

Edited by F15Rules
Additional photo and text info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1