Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Edge on galaxy IC 2233

mdstuart

Managed to just see this beautiful galaxy with averted vision last night in my 20 inch dob. It was very tough with a thin streak just possible with averted vision at times.

Screenshot_2020-11-23-20-54-33-188.jpeg.dc6b599002c4eab7cda662511b9cdada.jpeg

It is in Lynx near the Bear paw galaxy which was bright in comparison.

Really enjoyed the observation even though it was on the edge of visibility for me in my semi rural sky.

Here is  the map  I used to locate the galaxy.

Screenshot_2020-11-23-21-02-10-436.thumb.jpeg.16cc638b6a0f7511448af07374476ae9.jpeg

Regards

Mark

• Like 13

Paul

I tend to use a 10mm ortho type eyepiece to pull out the faint stuff but it's got a narrow FOV so I could not see both at once.

The Bear paw galaxy was round and bright and you could tell the surface was not even. 

I wander what IC 2233 looks like if we could see it face on.

Mark

• Like 3

Great observing Mark.

Like you I use a 10mm ortho a lot these days and the Bear Paw is a favourite with my bigger dob using the 10 BCO which reveals the "toes". I've wondered the same thing- what do these galaxies look like face on (like IC 2233)

How the 20" movements going Mark?

Edited by jetstream

The azimuth movement is great.

The alt is still a little sticky but usable. I plan to have another play next Spring but for now I am just going to enjoy the sky.

The new set up is MUCH easier to set up and take down. It holds collimation well and the star test is better with the new agricultural mirror cell.

I managed to stiffen up the upper connections with jubilee clips.

IMG_20201008_213928.thumb.jpg.3d5ced82652ffe876f791389e893a5f6.jpg

So really pleased with the new "Eddie" scope.

Mark

• Like 2

Mark , this is a sort of meaningless question without knowing the conditions and the targets but ...

In your experience , what exit pupil you find that brings the best out of galaxies ? Galaxies in the sense , not like M31 , M101 , M33 etc ... Like small bright edge-ons ? 

2 minutes ago, Voyager 3 said:

Mark , this is a sort of meaningless question without knowing the conditions and the targets but ...

In your experience , what exit pupil you find that brings the best out of galaxies ? Galaxies in the sense , not like M31 , M101 , M33 etc ... Like small bright edge-ons ? 

Well my experience with the typical smaller faint galaxies is that higher powers make them visible when they are invisible at low power. I often use a 16mm eyepiece to identify the field but the galaxy is not visible until I put in the 10mm eyepiece. Sometimes I even have to go to a 4.7mm eyepiece.

Someone else can probably tell you what that means in terms of exit pupil size.

This subject is very complex and there are books devoted to the subject but my opinion is just based on years of observations 🔭

My final piece of advice is try it yourself. Select a few brighter NGC galaxies and try different eyepieces. Is the galaxy easier to see with higher power?

Mark

• Like 2