Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M45 with an old compact camera and modified EQ1 mount

So i gave M45 a go on my EQ1 mount modified with tracking, and an old Canon G9 compact camera from 2007.

Camera was limited to 15 sec exposures and auto-dark-frame, but with a modified firmware i could set an interval-meter to run 64 sec exposures with auto-dark-frame disabled.
It was quite cloudy, and the tracking wasn't the best, but i managed to get around an hour of data at ISO400 and F4.8 (wide open at full zoom). There is some serious amp-glow on the sensor, and darks unfortunately wasn't able to remove it all, but still i think it turned out quite OK for a 13 year old compact camera and mount that never intended for astro-photography what so ever. :)

60x 64s exposures at ISO 400, 44,4mm F/4.8
79x dark frames
Stacked in DSS and processed in photoshop

M45 v1.jpg

IMG_20201120_174449.jpg

• Like 13

very nice pic, well done!

I've thought to do similar with my EQ2 mount that has RA clock drive and the old Fuji S100FS riding on it, one day perhaps if the cloud ever breaks. Limit would be 30s exposure on that camera tho but worth a go.