Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is a 8 inch dobsonian worth it.

We need a bit more information ;). What kind of things would you like to observe? Only visual or also photography? Do you mind finding objects manually? Do you have the space to store a large telescope? Are you able to lift the weight of the base?

But in general: yes, 8" dobsons are great telescopes that will give you a lot of observing pleasure. So in that sense they're worth it.

I purchased an 8” Sky-Watcher dob in May. It’s one of the best purchases I’ve ever made. It’s not too big to store in kitchen, it takes under a minute to set up and cools down in 30 mins. I can see this being my lifetime dob easily and have observed some amazing sights already including the moon, planets, a comet, DSOs, clusters, asterisms and double stars. 

Personally for me it’s the optimum aperture, portability and convenience to be worth while for visual. I can’t praise it highly enough but I would certainly check out the topic below to ensure your expectations are in line with what you’d expect to see.

• Like 2

Yes. The 8inch is a kind of best choice.

A dobson is suitable for: Visual observation of galaxies, nebulas, star clusters, planets, double stars, but DO NOT expect to see images in the eyepiece as you see on the internet. You cannot see colors or amazing details. 

It is not so suitable for astrophotography (there is some solutions like eq platforms and field rotators but it becomes too complicated)

Anyway for a good advice we must know what you want to do and how do you want to find your objects

Armand

I've got the Sky-Watcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian and have seen planets, the moon, double stars, nebulae and the Andromeda galaxy through it. Be mindful that the best performances with it will be under dark sky conditions, as light pollution is your enemy... 

all good comments from the other posters- 8 inch Dob the sweet spot for Planetary, Lunar and DSO but not so hot for Imaging. Also very easy resale if you find you want to move onto something else.  As requested give us some more information and let us know what you are interested in and we can guide you further