What kind of scope for Lunt Cak filter.

As none of the experts has posted a reply; here is my take on it. The apo/achro/ED/doublet/triplet lens systems are designed to get a common focal point with the widest range of optical wavelengths. When you use a narrow-pass-band Ha or CaK filter, there is only one wavelength to consider. The CaK and Ha focus points will be different, but it does not matter, as you only use 1 filter at a time.

A quick look at the SGL "Imaging -Solar" section, seems to advise a minimum f10 (even better, f15) refractor. A 90mm f10, stopped down to 60mm may work well.

Geoff

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Geoff Lister said:

As none of the experts has posted a reply; here is my take on it. The apo/achro/ED/doublet/triplet lens systems are designed to get a common focal point with the widest range of optical wavelengths. When you use a narrow-pass-band Ha or CaK filter, there is only one wavelength to consider. The CaK and Ha focus points will be different, but it does not matter, as you only use 1 filter at a time.

A quick look at the SGL "Imaging -Solar" section, seems to advise a minimum f10 (even better, f15) refractor. A 90mm f10, stopped down to 60mm may work well.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff, appreciate your insight. 

Nigella,

A couple of things.

Yes, using an extreme narrowband filter suppresses any residual chromatic aberration...

But not all scope are well designed to work in the UV - spherical aberration can be a real issue. Luckily stopping down the aperture helps.

I use an ED80 f7.5 stopped down to 60mm to give me the "minimum" recommended f ratio. Better still would be a larger aperture, longer focal length stopped to f15 (or greater)

Resolution in the CaK is 1.66 better than that in H alpha - based on the shorter wavelength - this effectively means a 60mm in CaK works like a 100mm in H alpha.

The CaK images (significantly reduced for upload) show some results with my DIY Cak filter (1A bandwidth).

Hope that helps.

Sun_111200_grid.jpg

Sun_111336.jpg

Sun_111445.jpg

Sun_111129.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Merlin66 said:

Nigella,

A couple of things.

Yes, using an extreme narrowband filter suppresses any residual chromatic aberration...

But not all scope are well designed to work in the UV - spherical aberration can be a real issue. Luckily stopping down the aperture helps.

I use an ED80 f7.5 stopped down to 60mm to give me the "minimum" recommended f ratio. Better still would be a larger aperture, longer focal length stopped to f15 (or greater)

Resolution in the CaK is 1.66 better than that in H alpha - based on the shorter wavelength - this effectively means a 60mm in CaK works like a 100mm in H alpha.

The CaK images (significantly reduced for upload) show some results with my DIY Cak filter (1A bandwidth).

Hope that helps.

Thanks, I've got a couple of fracs a 70mm actromatic, not sure of focal length probably an f6, an 80mm ed f6.7.

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, Carl Au said:

Lovely 

Thanks, wasn't sure what the baader k line filter would be like because it's quite a bit winder than the Lunt cak. 10angstrum instead of the Lunt 2.4 but pleased. It's not a cheap filter at £250 but far less than Lunt at £1000 to £1500 plus. Also the baader k line can eventually be used with the Lunt Cak to increase contrast so nothing lost.

Sorry, quoted 10A for the baader, that's wrong, it's 80A, thanks to merlin66 for putting me right. ed. 

Edited by Nigella Bryant
Added comment

Hhmmm

The quoted bandwidth (FWHM) for the Baader K-Line filter is 80A ( https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/baader-k-line-filter-1¼"-(double-stacked).html)

whereas the Lunt CaK is said to be <2.4A bandwidth.

My bad, quoted wrong, I'm a numpty, lol 80A as apposed to a 2.4A. never intended to mislead anyone. I blame my age, thought I'd read something about baader K line  filter being 10  something. Again, my bad. Thank goodness for more knowledgeable people than me. I don't know my angstroms from my nanometres. 

Edited by Nigella Bryant

I'm using my Lunt with an ED 80 and flat fielding with a plastic bag (more successful than with Ha)

I will be trying out the 127 1200 Bresser when the sun gets a bit more elevation from here.

Getting better results with the larger pixel sized Pt Grey Blackfly Cam, though again that could be down to elevation.

• Thanks 1