NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M31 by eye.

nephilim

Finally moved into the new place. The back garden has wide, far reaching views of the North/ West Skies, with absolutely no light pollution. A good patio for setting up the gear & a little office for electricity & a cuppa.

Spotted M31 last night with just the naked eye, havnt managed that for a while. I think I might be very happy here 🙂

IMG_20201106_113005_8-01.jpeg

IMG_20201106_112646_1-01.jpeg

IMG_20201106_113018_6-01.jpeg

Edited by nephilim
  • Like 9

Beautiful location, much more open than mine.

I can get M31 easy naked eye, but transparency can make a big difference. Last night I could glimpse it averted vision with the moon high. CO reccons I'm 21.66, so Bortle 4/3

• Like 1

This is a great part of the world for dark skies (when not cloudy).  From a site a few miles west of Penrith, I got a fabulous view of Comet Hyakutake in March 1996.  It was spread across the sky like a faint gossamer cloud, absolutely gorgeous.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Oldfort said:

This is a great part of the world for dark skies (when not cloudy).  From a site a few miles west of Penrith, I got a fabulous view of Comet Hyakutake in March 1996.  It was spread across the sky like a faint gossamer cloud, absolutely gorgeous.

I've been living in Penrith for the last 8 yrs & the new place is only about 20mins away. It's seems it the middle of nowhere but is very convenient for town etc & the back garden faces away from any skyglow from Penrith. Your right about clouds over here, that's the downside to living near mountains but when it is clear, the skies are amazing.

• Like 1