NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help please

Okay so I have purchased a new second hand scope after a bit of research. It is a orion xt10i. I tried to do my due dilegence before buying and hopfully its not a lemon! It was a good price with some nice extras. 

Anyway it came with clouds and I have only just got it out tonight. My 1st target was the moon and my god it was bright! So I played around with the 4 filters that I got with the scope and that helped but It was out of focus. Nothing I did made it better. I tried a 24mm and I also tried my 14mm and a 6mm. I could see Mars and I targeted that also. I tried all my eyepieces but it was out of focus. As soon as I adjusted the focuser out I could see the secondary. It's like I couldn't adjust the eyepiece in towards the scope enough. 

The scope came with a laser collimator and I think i have done this correctly but I am not 100 percent. 

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance 

Kyle 

Oh yeah it's my 1st scope 😁

Edited by Kdiveruk

Can you upload a photo of the focuser ? This type of telescope usually has a focuser that takes either 2" or 1.25" eyepieces and requires different adapter tubes. Many beginners make the mistake of using both adapters together which means the eyepiece is too far away from the telescope to achieve focus. 

• Like 1

Ok well that's that sorted thanks guys 👍 I have just looked at satern and jupiter I could see the rings and moons of jupiter. Pritty cool to see for the first time! I just need to try and focus them better. I did notice something whilst collimating . If I rotate  the laser tool whilst it's in the focoser the red dot  goes out of center on the main mirror is this normal? Is it normal to have to collimate ever time? 

Edited by Kdiveruk
  • Like 1

Probably the laser collimator is not true.

Pu it on a flat surface and roll it whilst projecting against a wall. Watch if the projected dot stays level or moves up and down like a shallow sine wave . It dot moves the collimator needs collimating.  

14 hours ago, Mand1 said:

Probably the laser collimator is not true.

Pu it on a flat surface and roll it whilst projecting against a wall. Watch if the projected dot stays level or moves up and down like a shallow sine wave . It dot moves the collimator needs collimating.  

OK thanks I'll have a look 👍

Look on you tube there is a guy that made a simple lazer holder to help when collimating the lazer also shows you how to collimate it 

I found the cheap lazers are not much good i changed to a Cheshire which is spot on 

Edited by Neil H
  • Thanks 1