SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Why can't I see anything ?

Hi Guys

I've got my new telescope set up in the garden (Ski=y Watcher 127) - have taken the cap off the end, have put in the diagonal (taking the caps off both ends) - have inserted the eyepiece (having taken the caps off both ends and pointed it at some stars (the plaiedes).

Normally I get a good view with binoculars but with the scope, its just a bland grey (not black) so I'm thinking I'm gettng some light from somewhere. Of course, I'm in town but I'd have thougth I would have a better view with a telescope than with binoculars - I dont think I'm dewed up (did take me an hour to set up tho). I've tried turning the focus knob from one end to the other.

What am I missing ?

Any advice you can give would be great.

Thanks

Phil

Obvious question, but have you focused it?

Edit: Opps... i need to read message better :)

Did you see anything at all in the eyepiece? During daylight, are you able to point it at a distant object and see/focus on stuff?

Well Steve, I thought I had tried (i#ve turned and turned that darn knob - maybe about 5 turns in either direction but I didnt want to break it - do you think it goes further ? I understand that teh 127 has a "stop" ni it to stop you pulling the focus back too much to damage the lens.

I can try it some more I guess - I know I'm probably being silly but, like i say, I didnt want to damage it

I'll try once more and let you know how I get on

Phil

Another basic question is have you aligned the finder scope with the main scope in daylight ? - a scope shows only a small patch of sky, even at low power so you really need your finder scope to be pointing exactly where the scope is - you can't really align it with just your eyes and by pointing the tube at something.

The manual for the scope should explain how to do this.

John

ahhh - now that I didnt know (like I say, I'm new at this) - I'd have thought there would have been some background stars

I have the EQ5 mount and, in my front room, you can see the plough and cassipeia and everyting through the finderscope but in the back garden in the dark - nada so I couldnt use that to like it up

I tried to use the three star align on the synscan (with it roughly pointed north and the lat set to about 51.5 degs) but, of course, I cant align to a star through the scope but I gess what I should have done is align it to the red dot finder during teh day like you say and then used the red dot finder to line the scope up in the 3 star alignment ?

I didnt do it as I've been working flat out and seeing some stars come out tonight for the first time since I got the scope I rushed out so maybe thats it.

OK - I#ll try panning a little and focusiong but if that doesnt work I guess its back to aligning the red dot finder with the scope in daylight - just got a VERY small garden with trees all around so no real distant object I can focus on :)

Thanks for the advice though - it looks like its back to the drawing board for me but, if nothing else, its helped me get somewhat used to the controls in the dark !

Phil

Focussing seems to have been th eproblem (tho clearly i need to line up my red dot finder) - the focussing knob turns around40 - 50 turns but the focus (in and out of focus) is about a tenth of one turn !

So, I guess I cant line up accurately but I can at least see stuff (at least I've not broken it - lol).

So, tomorrow I'll go to the telescope amnesty and get some help on aligning the red dot finder but fo rtonight i'm gonna pan around

Thanks once again for your help guys and the very speedy response

Phil

Hi Doc

As STeve says "five turns is nothing"

I'll be honest, I didnt count but its right up there from one "stop" to the other end where it stops

That was definitely my problem as wherever I point it I now see stars - my reall issue now is how to set the system up so I can find things

D'oh

Back to reading the manuals !

Phil

:)

Saturn now in the se is right through my neighbours tree :)

Definitely got stars - have worked out how to steer and align now (though no good without the red dot finder but for some reason no red dot on that) so it does turn an point in the right direction

WIll try for Plaiedes but will then call it a night (been at it over 3 hours now) - I still think its been a sucssful evening as I managed to mount the scope, drive it and not kill myself in the process and, like everyone says on this forum, this is a hobby for life so no rush.

Seriously, many thanks for the help though - I spent about an hour wondering why I couldn't see anything

In the words of John Fashanu - focus, focus

Phil

The on / off switch for the red dot finder (located on the right hand side near the back) also adjusts its brightness so turn it clockwise all the way to the stop.

You can set up the finder in doors through a window if it helps to get a more distance view.

Mike

Well, I went to the telscope amnesty organised by the nice folks at http://www.hantsastro.org tonight and they solved two of my problems for me. I know you may laugh but I thought I'd post in case anyone else has the same problem.

1) No red dot in my red dot finder - ummm, you can look through it 2 ways - I had the big round end next to my eye and the other end furthest away - a bit like a rifle telescopic sight - turns out that if you turn it around you can see the red dot - d'oh

2) No image through my polar scope - with the EQ5 mount the balancing arm lies straight over the top of the polar scope (as it screws directly into the mount) when you have the scope vertical - you're meant to lay the scope horizontal, do your polar alignment which lines up the mount then turn the scope back vertical allowing you to do your 1, 2 or 3 star alignment - i.e. I couldnt see anything as there was a big metal bar in the way - spin the metal bar round and you get a lovely view.

So, over the weekend I need to set up somewhere to do an alignment on my red dot finder and I should then be a fully autmoated, lean mean messier finding machine.

Cheers

Phil

Archived