Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CG-5 verses EQ5 - Advise needed for mount upgrade?

Hi there, iam new to your wonderful site and was wanting advise as to what mount to purchase.It will be used to mount a Celestron c8 to and primarilly used for astro imaging. Cant really tell wich one is better than the other yet the eq5 seems to be around the £400 mark and the CG5 nearer the £500 mark.

Would some of you kind people be able to advise me? Many thanks in advance, Darren :)

Hi Darren,

I think they are broadly the same mount but the CG5 has 2 inch diameter legs on the tripod (heavier = more stability) and I think has slightly better bearings.

Those prices seem a little high to me - or does that include motor drives ?.

I'm not an imager myself but I hear that many people prefer the HEQ5 mount over the EQ5 and CG5 for imaging.

John

Thanks guys, Sorry i should have said,thet are the got versions iam after,hence the price, I plan to auto guide with the lap top and a guide scope attached to main c8 and wondered if one gives better results than the other. Didnt know the cg5 legs were wider ,very interesting,think iam leaning towards the cg5. I have a very limited budget of upto £500 tops.

Any body got experience of both ?

The CG5 Goto is noisey, it has been likened to a coffee grinder, but other than that they are very good. :-)

If you upgrade the HC to the new v4.15 firmware, from the CGEM mount, then it will have the new polar alignment routine which allows polar alignment on any star. It will also compensate for tandem mounted scopes but I'm not sure how that works as I us mine with tandem scopes and never had any goto / alignment issues with firmware v4.13.

Mine is almost out of warranty and I intend to line the inside of the motor housings with sticky back foam which deadens the motor noise.

If goto is important to you and £500 is your budget get the CG5-GT, you wont be disappointed.... :-D

Gary

Gaz, I'm not 100% sure how it works yet as I have only started looking into it, and considering updating the firmware in my HC.

If you look at this link............. http://www.nexstarsite.com/Manuals.htm and scroll to the bottom you will be able to download a copy of the new CGEM manual. Look at page 37 and it describes how it is done.

It looks a fairly simple procedure to me and I have read on the ASGT Yahoo Tech Group that it is very reliable and improves goto accuracey.

I'll keep SGL updated as to my progress on this, and indeed whether or not I upgrade.

Gary

Darren, if you can stretch to £500 go for a HEQ5 Syntek mount, the EQ/CG5 mounts are all similar but do not in any way match up to the HEQ5 mount. If astroimaging is your main aim it is the correct mount to buy and it will give you increased payload capacity for your guidescope etc..

I know its said over and over again that the mount is your most important piece of kit but for imaging it is true, without an accurate mount you will never achieve acceptable results and alwaye regret not getting the "right" mount to start with. Forego GOTO, the Syntek mount can be conrolled using EQMOD to achieve the same / better capability as the GOTO version (the difference is the handcontroller - the stepper motors and controllers are identical)

Brendan

Archived