Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good laser collimator

The Hotech is a great laser collimator. Been using one for years. Love the crosshair which is much better than a simple dot.  Comes properly collimated itself which is often a problem with cheaper lasers.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/hotech-collimation-tools/hotech-sca-laser-collimator-with-cross-hair.html

I also use a TS Concenter for setting up the secondary mirror. No other bit of kit does the job as well.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p5506_TS-Optics-Concenter-2--Collimation-Eyepiece-for-Newtonian-Telescopes.html

The two make a great combination.

Edited by johninderby

I’m with John....just set up my scope after traveling back from Galloway along bumpy roads etc. Using the HoTech, it took 2 minutes to collimate.....excellent laser collimator.

I also have the concentric collimator for the secondary but I struggle with it, always appears blurry to me so cannot be sure of accurate collimation 

31 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Have spotted this new version of the Concenter thst should be easier to look through.

https://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/mechanical-accessories/collimationstools/concenter-visus-precise-adjustment-glasses

B85D82DD-A965-4BFA-B1CC-F8D84E82F503.jpeg

9C90604A-D334-4098-9A8E-69D92A7AC3A9.jpeg

That’s interesting, I take it that, as it’s only available in 2” I can just remove the 1.25” adapter, collimate and then replace the adapter??......quite expensive but a well collimated secondary is essential and I can’t be doing with a cap or a Cheshire 

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

Yes just remove the 1.25” eyepiece adaptor and insert the concenter.

Have been thinking of selling my 1.25” concenter and getting one of these. 🤔

I see from the for sale section you’re no longer thinking about it 😀😀.....I might be doing the same soon 

No it doesn’t have a battery. Saw that photo and the battery was just used for a size comparison.

However you can shine a light into the hole in the side to illuminate it. I’m wondering if the illuminator from a reticle eyepiece could be adapted to fit or just an LED? 🤔

33DCF117-CE68-45D2-8D57-A8D647EF50A0.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

However there is a luminos ring around the inside that illuminates the disc.

“the self-luminous function of the concentric circles, which after briefly illuminating with a white light source (eg flashlight) glow for about five minutes”

996E2401-3EAA-482C-862B-25F398257088.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

43 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Let me know what you think...... I think I’m going to invest 

Will do. While I found the Concenter I had did the job the circles were hard to focus on but then I use reading glasses for close work.

I’m thinking one of these little keyring lights might be adapted to fit or just held up to the hole in the side of the Concenter.  Have some translucent model paint for tinting lenses on models that could be used on the LED. 🤔

Or maybe just use a small red astronomy torch. ?

Edited by johninderby

Just revieced my toys this morning. Very impressed with the con center I must say! After getting the secondary pretty Central and circular using the Cheshire I popped in the concenter only to find it was well of! I found that using a sheet of A4 behind the secondary made the rings stand out nice and clear and after a fair bit of fiddling about I got it as good as I could and happy with the results!

Unfortunately not as impressed with the hotec- I completed collimation using the Cheshire only to find that the laser was nowhere near the donought (approx 3 inches away). Might just be user error but seemed simple enough to set up and use 🤔🤔🤔

Edited by popeye85