Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SX FW not connecting on startup

As above, when i start my mini PC with all USB devices connected, I cant connect the filterwheel. The wheel spins and calibrates the carousel as normal but I cant connect. The fix is to remove the USB cable and then reconnect. All is fine then. When I power up the PC with the FW disconnected and then connect the cable, it connects no problem. Any ideas? I don't have this quirk with any other device.

I had this randomly a few years ago with mine. I installed startech industrial usb hubs in the obsy and configured them to supply power to the usb bus rather than use the supply from the computer USB port. Computer ports can vary in their ability to supply enough power to all attached devices.

I'm thinking that it might have something to do with the usb port on the mini pc where the filterwheel is connected. 

I'm having the problem when the sx is on my eq6 setup. The wheel is connected to an anker powered usb hub and the hub to the mini pc. 

On the other hand when I put it on my eq3 setup is doesn't cause this problem and connects every time. On the eq3 setup I'm using a similar anker powered usb hub as on the eq6 setup but it's connected to a different usb port on the mini pc. 

I experience the same problem with my SX FW. Once I’ve completed the system power up, the FW spins up, then when I select the FW maintenance box in SGP all appears ok until I attempt to connect the FW in SGP, when it hangs. Unplugging and reconnecting the USB on the FW solves the problem and everything then works fine. Both of my active USB 3 extension cables have independent DC supplies, suggesting it is not a signal level issue. More likely a port connection conflict in the PC.

Thanks all. At least its not just mine and appears to be a common bug. Not a big issue really as I still setup each session. I can imagine how frustrating this might be if someone had an automated setup in an observatory etc. I'll try one of my other laptops and see if its the same.

43 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

automated setup

I don't have an automated obsy but every time I go on a trip to dark skies with my eq3, travel setup, I leave the eq6 uncovered to control it from my dark skies location and if I forget to unplug and plug back in the usb cable, I'm in trouble. It happened once and luckily my wife was at home to the rescue 😁

Emil

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Thommy said:

Are you using the "AR" version of the firmware?

/Thommy

Not sure but I was literally just looking on the SX website. There was a firmware update issued in May this year and it refers to rebooting the FW after Windows shuts down or if there's a glitch. I will give this a whirl shortly.

Screenshot_20201023-103026_Word.jpg

20 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Not sure but I was literally just looking on the SX website. There was a firmware update issued in May this year and it refers to rebooting the FW after Windows shuts down or if there's a glitch. I will give this a whirl shortly.

Screenshot_20201023-103026_Word.jpg

Interesting... I haven’t updated mine in years “if it ain’t broke “. So, just back to USB for a sec. The quality of usb Components seems to vary considerably. I went through a few hubs & cable setups before I got things settled. Also using active and powered. I’m not sure powered are all equal and actively disconnect the feed from the computer port rather than just boost it. I know mine isolates it so I can remotely switch the 12v supply to the hub to simulate an unplug/plug of the usb. Works a treat. I think the Altair Pegasus powerbox can do this at a port level too. Be interesting to know if this SX update fixes your issue. For any remote setup the ability to simulate a plug/unplug is a must really otherwise you end up having to reboot/restart everything & bite nails hoping it comes back online!