Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Olympus Mons

orion25

A night of great seeing resulted in one of my best overall images of Mars and my first-ever image of Olympus Mons! The south polar cap, though small, was becoming more prominent, and a number of dark albedo features were on display:

1776121087_ASTRONOMY-MARSOLYMPUSMONS(ZWO)10-19-20.jpg.1ee1662c0aaf6de09e58134ec99560eb.jpg

Equipment: Orion SkyView Pro 180mm Mak-Cass, ZWO ASI 224MC, Celestron 2x barlow
Post-Processing: Registax 6, Photoshop

I was quite pleased and pleasantly surprised to capture Mons which I wasn't sure was possible without more aperture.

Regards,

Reggie :) 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Very nice, this was the  profile I was observing last night, the dark mottled features in the southern hemisphere such as Solis Lacus were prominent and as your image conveys the bright pimple of the south polar cap. Lovely to see the capture of Olympus Mons.

• Like 1

On 21/10/2020 at 06:15, scarp15 said:

Very nice, this was the  profile I was observing last night, the dark mottled features in the southern hemisphere such as Solis Lacus were prominent and as your image conveys the bright pimple of the south polar cap. Lovely to see the capture of Olympus Mons.

Thanks, Iain :)

• Like 1