Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

first go at colour narrowband imaging

MikeD

HI all.

First off a big thanks to Anthony for giving me an OIII filter. :) :hello1:

The filter in question is a Lumicon OIII filter, the only problem was that the filter cell was too deep to fit my astro-engineering filter wheel. So I had to rehouse the OIII glass in my astronomic CLS filter cell.

So to the result...... I imaged a part of the Rossetta neb in Ha a week or so ago, so with only a small window of clear skies last night I decided to try for some OIII data to go with it.

I managed 17 x 5 minuite subs in OIII to combine with the 30 Ha subs from before and using Noel's tools to synthesize the green channel created these RGB images

the first is R,G,B as OIII,G,Ha

11881_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

and the same data but with the Ha and OIII swapped so the Ha was red and OIII blue, I then duplicated the result and re ran the synthesize green action which gave a different colour than using the green from the first image so I decided to mix the two 50/50.(hope that makes sense :) )

11882_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Mike.

I posted a comment on this image yesterday which seems to have disappeared :) Fantastic image Mike, the dark nebulosity stands out superbly. I think the mark of a really high quality image is when the dust looks like soot rather than just a black shape. Not sure what you did with the colour but the 2nd one is easily my favourite.

We dont often see the Rosette at this kind of scale, and I like it!

Cant help noticing that on the two large stars in the lower left, there seems to be an "indent" at the 9 oclock position. Is this the shadow of the draw tube poking out inside the OTA?

Blimey Mike, you're really in amongst it with this image.

It's a hell of a good picture. I think the jury is still out

on the colour for me, but when I get my head around Narrowband stuff it may come to.

Ive seen those indents in the star haloes bfore in another image, and quite recently too

I thought it was a focuser in the light path, but that could only happen with a Newt.

Ron. :thumbright:

Thanks all. :)

Steve/Ron, yes it's the drawtube it's become an issue since I added a coma corrector into the imaging train. I intend to lob the offending bit of the drawtube off, just haven't found the time yet. :)

Mike

Archived