Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Draco galaxy pairs

mdstuart

Finally observing galaxies again with my 20 inch dob after the rebuild.

Observing galaxies in Draco which is well placed to the West.

Two pairs stood out tonight. NGC 6285/6 (ARP 293) Both were relatively easy to spot in my 7mm eyepiece making a nice faint pairing. Here is an image of them from the internet.

NGC_6285_and_NGC_6286_interacting_galaxies_in_32_inch_Schulman_telescope.thumb.jpg.f6e0cd4bc50f9df7c78a809cc133c6e1.jpg

I also had a look at NGC6290/1. These were a little harder but stood out in the 10mm ortho lens and are to the left in this image.

1684273626_Arp293-LRGB.jpg-1000x0.jpg.eac46bf6858aed9776e6af87d459ea66.jpg

My new set up with a stronger mirror cell is helping as the stars seem sharper than before and this is helping pull out the faint objects.

Really good to be back out observing.

Mark

Edited by mdstuart
  • Like 11

Thanks Mark we are keeping well in these radically uncertain times.

I am blown away by the improvement in the sharpness of the stars with the new mirror cell. I saw some astigmatism and certain altitudes before but that is all gone. I am still working on the bearings as there is a lot of stiction in the alt motion but I will get there. I like problem solving. Over the next few days I am taking off the silicon wax and trying Sailkote which apparently will make anything slippy so we shall see. If not its on to metal roller bearings :)

I also washed the mirror before putting it in the new set up and last night I was seeing down to mag 15 even with the 7mm eyepiece so that was nice to achieve as well.

Hope you are also doing OK up there in Hereford. Hope it is not too long before we can observe together again.

Regards

Mark

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mdstuart said:

Thanks Mark we are keeping well in these radically uncertain times.

I am blown away by the improvement in the sharpness of the stars with the new mirror cell. I saw some astigmatism and certain altitudes before but that is all gone. I am still working on the bearings as there is a lot of stiction in the alt motion but I will get there. I like problem solving. Over the next few days I am taking off the silicon wax and trying Sailkote which apparently will make anything slippy so we shall see. If not its on to metal roller bearings :)

I also washed the mirror before putting it in the new set up and last night I was seeing down to mag 15 even with the 7mm eyepiece so that was nice to achieve as well.

Hope you are also doing OK up there in Hereford. Hope it is not too long before we can observe together again.

Regards

Mark

Thanks Mark - yes I am okay and Hereford at the moment is not a major concern with the spread of the virus. I hope that continues.

Yes it would be good to see you again and observe together if we can.

Keep safe.