Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first widefield but need BIG help.

I need help......

This is my first widefield photo image EVER.

Battled with clouds tonight so might not be best example.

It's if I remember right 6x10 secs, 6x5 Secs, 6x2 secs and 3x15 secs and 5x10secs darks.

All stacked and subtracted in DSS.

Now what. How do I remove this horrible Skyglow.

Can someone give me a few hints and mmaybe do this one to see how much detail has been caught.

orionm42bqn8.jpg

Off to bed soon so might not reply straight away.....

Hi Mick, got a tutorial on this on my website. Very easy to do with the curves tool in most phto-processing pograms.

As John posted, your focus does look off, try using Jupiter as focussing point. You want the smallest point of light you can get...you'll know when you have focus.

Good first effort though

Cheers

Danny

Hi Mick, got a tutorial on this on my website. Very easy to do with the curves tool in most phto-processing pograms.

As John posted, your focus does look off, try using Jupiter as focussing point. You want the smallest point of light you can get...you'll know when you have focus.

Good first effort though

Cheers

Danny

Danny do you have a link I'm struggling to find it.

Take it real slow when focusing and at 10x liveview you'll see the point where you pass through focus then rock backwards and forwards through focus to get a feel for exactly where it is. Did you use the stock 18-55 lens or a telescope for the subs? as far as I know the stock lens doesn't focus to infinity, I had a quick look at mine and couldn't see an infinity focus mark on it at all and there is no indication on the camera that it does this either.

Assuming that I'm wrong about the infinity thing, If you used the stock lens and wish to continue to use it for astro imaging then the cls clip filter is no use to you at all, the stock lens goes too far back into the camera body and would hit the cls filter, the only way to use a stock lens with a cls clip filter is to get a hacksaw out and lop off the bit of the lens that pokes into the camera body, not for the faint hearted I guess :/

For camera shots ( wide field) you can use a 2" LPR filter infront of the lens. These are 48mm threaded and you can easily buy step-up adaptor rings to get to your camera thread (58mm on the Canon). Any of the 2" astro filters would then be available to "play" with. ie Red/ Ha/ Baader UHC-S etc etc

Reggie, the kit lens actually is able to focus beyond inifinity... go figure... :scratch:. I read somewhere it's to allow for thermal expension or some such ... basically infinity is back from the stop a little way.

well blow me, I had been told (and tried and failed) that it wouldn't focus to infinity, I guess I'll be checking that out again as soon as its worth it.

I've had a quick google, I can't seem to find any information that the 18-55mm focuses to infinity, could you give me a link to your info?

Archived