Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The lengths we go to

spudicus

Hi All,

Its been a fantastic night here in Berkshire so far, zero clouds! I've popped in for a brew while I wait for Mars to come into view.

I have come up with a very hi-tech solution to the street light that is dazzling my view and causing me no end of grief. So bare with me while I explain the finer technical details.

I have grabbed a dark blue towel and then draped it over my head and the scope eyepiece...

Outstanding view of M13 and M57, neighbours have all had a chuckle at Spuds new hobby and my GF just rolls her eyes as I wander in for a brew and start interuppting Big Brother to tell her about the 'Smudge' in the sky (whilst wearing said towel).

Nuff said.

Spud

A towel on your head, and those legs :shock: :shock: :shock:

Attractive :) :) :) :)

Seriously, if it does the job......the other option involves an element of criminal damage, so you are probably best with your own hi-tech solution.

Nicley broken down for the lay-man, BTW. I got lost on a couple of points, but got the gist LOL

Will you do us a report from last night? I had a fair bit of cloud so didn't get out - be interested to hear what grabbed your attention :o

Darren

Here Spud, if you want to look even dafter you could do what I do.

Pretend to be a pirate. i.e. wear an eye patch over your "looking through the EP" eye, that way when you at the scope you can flick it up. When you go inside for a brew, look at the maps or whatever flip it back down to preserve your night vision in one eye.

What with that and the towel, you'll be in a padded room in no time!

Seriously, this tip actually works...

Ant

Argh Jim Lad, splice the mainbrace ya lubber  :pirate:... One step ahead Ant, I learnt that trick in the Army, so have no fear I look totally ridiculous.

Am saving the pennies for an LPR filter and Motor at the end of the month so hopefully that will make things a little easier.

Not much to report sadly Darren at the moment I am looking at Mars through a 6mm eyepiece at x190 without a Motor, so its difficult to make out any features, as the little 'pea' in the scope keeps wobbling as I try to track it.

I've ordered a x2 Barlow and a 10mm EP which will give me x240 on my scope and a wider field of view. That along with the Motor will hopefully give me a better image of our Red neighbour (anyone have any pics of mars at x240 through a 5 inch refractor, would be good to see what I will be getting to view in a couple of weeks time)

Spud

What LP filter are you after? I have a 1.25 Orion Sky Glow filter that I'm looking at getting rid off. PM me if your interested.

The view should be pretty good through a 5" refractor. I've never owned a refractor that big, so I can't help...

Ant

Archived