SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mars from last night with the C9.25

Jarvo

Hi All, best of the bunch. I'm convinced the colour and fuzzy nature of the image is an aspect of the camera. There was some thin cloud last night but that helped things especially visually.

So if I can move any further forward it may be time to go Mono with a filter wheel or if the iPhone project I'm going to attempt works then who knows....

Any suggestions always warmly welcome.

Its all about the journey :)

Kit: Celestron C9.25 xlt, QHY5III290C, 2.5 x Powermate. Processed in Registax & tweaked in Gimp.

Thanks for looking.

Steve

22_33_48ii.jpg

Edited by Jarvo
  • Like 10

Hi I'm not to familiar with the camera you are using but you have a great scope for imaging Mars. 

Could it be focusing issues? 

My Mak 180 use a very similar focus knob, and it's not that accurate. 

I've fitted a Crayford dual speed focuser on the back of mine, this greatly improves focusing. 

I still us my old  ZWO Asi 120mc camera and my images are the same colour as yours. 

I'm sure many would disagree but I'm getting better results using AutoStalkert first for stacking, then using Registax for sharpening. 

Then again what do I know I'm still a total beginner. 

Sorry I mucked up my login details above. 

Just found my old password. 

Here is a shot from a few days ago. Using the 120MC, and the Mak 180, stacked in Autostakkert and finished off in Registax. 

As I mentioned my images are exactly the same colour. I have tried the tweek the colour but I'm not having to much luck. Hopefully some one can give us both some advice. 🤞

Mars 150% Best~2.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, andyhulme1966 said:

Here is a shot from a few days ago. Using the 120MC, and the Mak 180, stacked in Autostakkert and finished off in Registax. 

As I mentioned my images are exactly the same colour. I have tried the tweek the colour but I'm not having to much luck. Hopefully some one can give us both some advice. 🤞

Mars 150% Best~2.png

Thanks. I’ll give Autostakkert a try an report back. I still think that debayering  hasn’t been mastered on these cameras. 

great image by the way 😀

Edited by Jarvo

Nothing wrong with camera/scope combination. Not used the camera, but there are some fine planetary images taken with it online. The scope needs no introduction, its an excellent choice.

do you have a capture log file, like what you get when you use Firecapture?

10 hours ago, andyhulme1966 said:

Mars 150% Best~2.png

I did a quick RGB balance, RGB align in Registax 6, here is the result. There is still a little artifact on the limb (Onion peel effect), it is generally accepted that this can be caused by not a high enough gain setting during capturing.

1943413254_Mars150Best2.png.png.4cbdddb4022ffee95cbe034551eb438c.png

1 minute ago, andyhulme1966 said:

Thanks it does look a lot better. It's been 4 years since I last had my scope out due to relocation to Southport. 

So just trying to get back to it. 

It's a tough learning curve. 😁

I have been planetary imaging since 2009, still learning all the time. Especially with so many constant developments,  the learning never stops. I love the fact I never know what change is coming next 🙂

7 hours ago, Jarvo said:

Thanks. I’ll give Autostakkert a try an report back. I still think that debayering  hasn’t been mastered on these cameras. 

great image by the way 😀

Let's just hope the rain stops and we can get out there and get more shots while Mars is so close. 

90%  of what I've picked up had come from YouTube and here. 

There are some great videos about. 

Fingers crossed! For clear sky's! 

• Like 1