NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SKYTEE-2 ALT-AZIMUTH Mount with Vixen SXG-HAL130

saturnian

Hello,looking for a light but stable AZ mount for my SW 100ED.I did look at the Vixen porta2,SW AZ4,and5(in short supply right now) but would like something a bit more substantial.

I like the SKYTEE-2 ALT-AZIMUTH mount but would be too heavy with a steel tripod can it be fitted on a vixen  SXG-HAL130?

Would make the whole setup about 10Kg I think.

Any help appreciated.

9 hours ago, saturnian said:

Hello,looking for a light but stable AZ mount for my SW 100ED.I did look at the Vixen porta2,SW AZ4,and5(in short supply right now) but would like something a bit more substantial.

I like the SKYTEE-2 ALT-AZIMUTH mount but would be too heavy with a steel tripod can it be fitted on a vixen  SXG-HAL130?

Would make the whole setup about 10Kg I think.

Any help appreciated.

What is you budget? I use a ScopeTech zero which is lightweight and supports up to 7 kg. 

As above.

I use either of these 'beauties'...

IMG_0580.thumb.JPG.fc6f227bf7e974dd59c6c96ea3f25fe2.JPG

left: AOK-AYO - right: Tele-Optic Giro.

The are not cheap... IMHO a better build quality than the SkyTee2.
Apologies in advance to any SkyTee2 owner/user reading this.

BTW - I am saving up for a Berlebach tripod! ...(or two)!!

Edited by Philip R

9 minutes ago, Philip R said:

The are not cheap... IMHO a better build quality than the SkyTee2.
Apologies in advance to any SkyTee2 owner/user reading this.

Hey the Skytee II is a nice bit of agricultural equipment. 😁

Works very well though despite it’s lowly origins. 👍🏻

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Hey the Skytee II is a nice bit of agricultural equipment. 😁

Works very well though despite it’s lowly origins. 👍🏻

It does work well. My Skytee II is better than my Giro Ercole at carrying my 100mm - 120mm refractors. It even does a decent job with the 130mm F/9 triplet although the T-Rex has now become the primary mount for that scope.

Not sure about the wisdom of a Skytee II on an aluminum tripod though :icon_scratch:

I've always used my ST II on at least a 1.75 inch steel tubed tripod.

lzosst2.JPG

I’m happy with Skytee, it’s a very solid mount and has handled all the scopes in my signature with no problem, some of them in windy conditions. I usually use it on a 2” tripod which makes the whole thing heavy, but solid, and still liftable. I tried the Skytee on my lightweight aluminium tripod and it was far too wobbly unless I used a short scope at lower powers. The best option is probably the 1.75” tripod. The Skytee has also has slo mo controls which I find essential, but many people don’t, preferring to push. Build quality of the Skytee is not the best though and you’ll need to spend extra on an ADM saddle as the stock ones are rubbish (or at least always were). Second hand might make more sense. 

I like these saddles for the Skytee. Prefer the double clamp to the ADMs single clamp.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Enhanced-Vixen-Dovetail-Clamp-with-2-Brass-Screws-for-Photography-Astronomy/203006357794?hash=item2f441f3122:g:TFYAAOSwlcZZiYc9

Berlebach Uni tripod is perfect for the Skytee but ££££££££🙀

4863E390-536F-46AA-A1EB-038045B70F8D.jpeg

Love my skytee. Mines on a 2inch steel tripod with eq5 riser. It's heavy but solid. It might be agricultural but for me thats a good thing. I replaced all the synta grease with aeroshell. It's buttery smooth with negligible backlash. IMHO there's nothing to touch it at the price especially if got 2nd hand.

Steve

• Like 1