NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon 5D mirror dropped off!!

Skipper Billy

Set my Canon 5D Mk1 Classic off on a 200 shot x 30 seconds aurora run last night. Brought it back in and downloaded the images and the last 20 or so were all very dark.

Whilst disconnecting the cables and dew heater from the camera I noticed what sounded like broken glass from inside the camera!!!!

Took the lens off and found the mirror was completely detached and fell out onto the (thankfully deep pile) carpet.

Anyone repaired this or similar - looks like a straightforward task to glue it back into its holder??

What sort of glue to use??

4 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I find myself wondering if it even needs to be there at all?  Or does the camera report a fault if it isn't?

That's a good question! 

I will try it without the mirror - it would be OK for Aurora but I couldn't live without the viewfinder for daylight photos.

is it a single solid mirror or is there a small mirror behind that flips with it? The smaller one would handle stuff like deflecting a fragment of the incoming light onto the AF sensor, at least on the older Minolta AF series IIRC. Not sure what's best to refix it but for sure not regular superglue. Wonder if something like clear RTV silicone would do it. Are the mirror arms intact and not bent as that could cause problems with it moving freely and may give an error.

a quick google and it seems to be a known issue on the 5d 😞
https://petapixel.com/2015/05/13/canon-warns-the-original-5d-may-suffer-from-mirror-separation/

Wonder if you can still avail yourself of Cannon's free repair offer from back then? - seems unlikely tho as they seem to have ceased this in 2016.

Did find this DPreview thread:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4029115

Someone reports success at DIY repair in that thread as below:

<QUOTE>
For the sake of those who come along in the future, a few comments about my experience.

Before I bought my 5D last month I read about the mirror problem. I thought ok. This is a known fault, doesn't make it an ubiquitous fault, surely.  Then I bought my camera. Looked and felt mint. I reckoned - 13 years old: if that mirror hasn't fallen out yet then it probably ain't gonna. Wrong. It did, right after I bought it.

I followed some of the tips in this thread and did the repair myself. I'm on holiday in Phuket and although google says there's a Canon dealer on the island its still a long way away so I thought give it a shot.

1st. DO NOT use acetone to clean or degrase anything. Someone suggested it, I tried it but fortunately with very very little. It does start to eat the plastic.

2nd. I tried using an epoxy style glue with a little cushioning or give. The surface tension on the glue itself made it impossible to apply in the miniscule quantities I was trying to deposit onto each tiny pad. So in the end I used superglue.

3. There are 4 pads on the back of the mirror. At one end two are closer together, at he other they are farther apart.  Looking closely at the mirror frame I could see faint matching marks or indents. It seemed to me the two closer together belong at the top (deeper inside the camera if you get my drift).

4. I pressed quite firmly down on the mirror for the glue to fix. I wasn't terribly precious about it. I did use a bit of tissue between my finger and the mirror to avoid smudges.

So far so good.  I'd say don't let the mirror fear stop you and remember - don't use acetone!
<\QUOTE>

Personally I'd not use superglue as the outgassing will cloud optics tho the version for glass may do the job.

Edited by DaveL59

13 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

So in the end I used superglue.

That doesn’t sound like a very clever idea! SG outgasses and coats surfaces with a thin layer of...SG! Especially glass surfaces. they use it to find and show up finger prints in crime investigations

5 minutes ago, markse68 said:

That doesn’t sound like a very clever idea! SG outgasses and coats surfaces with a thin layer of...SG! Especially glass surfaces. they use it to find and show up finger prints in crime investigations

totally agree Mark, note that that was in a section I'd quoted, whereas I do say I wouldn't use it 🙂 

Bit more info in case anyone else has the same issue and finds this thread.

Gluing the mirror back on is easy but recalibrating the autofocus is not a DIY task and is apparently essential after gluing the mirror back in.

Two quotes received so far £66 and £90 inc VAT and RMSD return. 

Canon service centre not replied yet (Bank Holiday in Scotland today).