Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A little light painting on Higger Tor.

I haven't posted for a while but I have been out a few times. Here are four images, one taken of Neowise in July and the other three recently taken of random rocks ! The spot is Higger Tor which is on the Derbyshire / Yorkshire border near to Stanage Edge. As you can see, the Neowise night had quite a clear sky but the other three I couldn't even see the Milky Way through the orange sludge ! The aim point was " Just to the right of Jupiter and hope ". It's quite impressive what a modern digital camera can do to drag detail out of the murk. The last image was taken with an older secondhand Sony RX 100 to prove you can still get something from a point and shoot and you don't need a DSLR camera. It's a shame the sky wasn't very good.

Nikon Z6 and an ancient 50mm manual lens. 10 x 8 seconds at f2,8 for the sky and 2 x 15 seconds at f5.6 for the light painting

1110987849_Neowise50mm.thumb.jpg.c12219b611568f39efa2bb2cf6f1431e.jpg

Nikon Z6 and 14mm Sigma lens. 20 x 20 seconds at f2.8 ISO 3200 for the sky and 6 x 10 seconds f5.6 ISO 800 for the light painting.

1605855702_Mainrocks.thumb.jpg.41550da6e9761cb5f83c7728e4659d17.jpg

Nikon Z6 14mm Sigma lens. 20 x 20 seconds at f1.8 ISO 1600 for the sky and 2 x 10 seconds at f4 ISO 1600 for the light painting.

815529893_Smallrocks.thumb.jpg.6952288081debd072cbd589f75c62573.jpg

Finally the little Sony and no light painting. 10 x 15 seconds at f1.8 ISO 800 for the sky and a few 30 seconds f2.8 ISO 3200 for the rocks.

1586068900_sonyRX100.thumb.jpg.b74cb923f9865d7a4ba9b4038d022b6b.jpg

I couldn't light paint this one as I didn't have a remote with me and the 2 second timer just wasn't long enough. You can still get the idea though.

All stacking done via Sequator and blending done in Photoshop.

Dave.

• Like 17

Thanks James and Andy,

It was your latest image that spurred me on to post these, Andy. There aren't as many of us posting light painted photos as there were a short time ago and to be honest, I've only been doing them sporadically this year.

Cheers,

Dave.

4 hours ago, davew said:

Thanks James and Andy,

It was your latest image that spurred me on to post these, Andy. There aren't as many of us posting light painted photos as there were a short time ago and to be honest, I've only been doing them sporadically this year.

Cheers,

Dave.

I had plans for a few locations up in the hills back in spring while the Milky Way was low in the sky but the lockdown put those on ice til next year, saying that the weather has not been good either.  Maybe I’ll stay local and get a few winter constellations and sheep lol. 

Thanks

Andy  

• Like 1

On 26/09/2020 at 07:50, FenlandPaul said:

Lovely images.  I’ve not tried light painting but I really like the effect!

Thanks Paul,

It's easy enough to do if you remember to light from the side more than the front in most cases. Also do a few subs just of the light painting so they can all be blended together on the computer. 

This guy in Victoria in OZ does some nice light painting and he's done a pretty good video showing how to do it. There are apps other than Photoshop for doing this stuff if you don't have it  - 

Dave.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, FenlandPaul said:

@davew just wanted to say a big thank you for the YouTube link above.  His channel is a goldmine!! 

Glad you've enjoyed it and thanks for coming back to say.

There are a few ways I've tried to blend a background sky and a lightened foreground and the method he shows is, for me, the easiest and cleanest. Funnily enough the Neowise image wasn't done the same way and if you were to zoom right in then you can just detect the join ! Well, I can  😏

Dave.

Edited by davew