NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

bortle 2 skys here we come

faulksy

So frustrating to get to Bortle 1/2 even 3 skies and it’s clouded out.  Happened to me earlier this year in North Cornwall, Bortle 2, and saw the stars once in ten days.
I sometimes think we emotionally  associate the lower Bortles with clear skies. I know I do.  But there’s no connection between the two whatsoever of course.

• Like 2

Arrived in the "Boot Heel" of New Mexico yesterday and had a great first night under clear Bortle 1 sky.   Six more to go.  😀

Here is a quick stack of some M42 data I captured last night.  180 x 15 seconds for a total of 45 minutes with an ASI-533MCP and a 6" F2.8 Hyper Newt.

John Love
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX

M42-Sigma -Sat-CB QD-2.jpg

• Like 5

On 07/10/2020 at 22:05, CCD-Freak said:

Was it this one?   https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=3.04&lat=54.3547&lon=2.7220&layers=0BFFTFFFFFFFFFFFFF

It has multiple data sets and the ability to get SQM readings for any spot you click on.

John Love
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX

Thanks. No, it wasn't that one but very similar. The one I was referring to allowed you to click anywhere on the map, even the middle of the Atlantic, and you would then be presented with the Bortle scale for that particular location.

2 hours ago, Cleetus said:

Thanks. No, it wasn't that one but very similar. The one I was referring to allowed you to click anywhere on the map, even the middle of the Atlantic, and you would then be presented with the Bortle scale for that particular location.

It will do that but you have to use the 2015 Atlas data set selected in the upper right corner to get SQM readings.

John Love
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX

Another image from New Mexico.  IC5070 Pelican Nebula.  80 x 60 seconds (80 minutes total)  I plan to add some more subs tonight before I reprocess with all the calibration files.

Gotta love Bortle 1 sky !!!  😀

John Love
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX

IC5070-Sigma QD-CB-Sat-Curves-3x3-4.jpg

21 hours ago, Rob said:

I experienced Bortle 2 skies last year for 5 days ..... amazing!. Only issue is it tarnished my B5 skies back home. Took a while to adjust back TBH

Yeah, that's the problem mate, readjusting back to  reality.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2020 at 07:26, kirkster501 said:

So frustrating to get to Bortle 1/2 even 3 skies and it’s clouded out.  Happened to me earlier this year in North Cornwall, Bortle 2, and saw the stars once in ten days.
I sometimes think we emotionally  associate the lower Bortles with clear skies. I know I do.  But there’s no connection between the two whatsoever of course.

Sorry to hear you were mostly clouded out!.. my Bortle 2 visit was North Cornwall last year in October. Deffo another visit post Covid that's for sure.