Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A night of new targets and some old favs

IB20

With last night's clear forecast I decided to find some new targets and try again to see the elusive Veil! After last week's incredible moment with Uranus I decided to find Neptune as it was in a favourable portion of the sky. Conditions seemed quite hazy and there seemed an awful lot of light pollution about, so I started out using Psi 1-3 Aqr as my beginning and took it from there. It feels like it took me way longer than it should but thanks to using the bins I realised I was overshooting Neptune's position and ending up at some mag 9+ stars. After locating Neptune I swung the scope to its position and admired the tiny light blue dot that was 4.3 billion km away, another one ticked off my list, very satisfying. 

Moving on, I'd noticed Cygnus was overhead and more neighbours were turning off their lights meaning my darkness was improving. So I swung the scope up at Sadr, had a look at M29 and then down to 52 Cyg and stuck the UHC Astronomik filter on, alternating between a 40mm SW and 25mm BST. I think I could make out wisps and filaments but barely, but I'm really not sure and there just seemed so much background noise?! I'm in Bortle 6-7 skies, should it be easier to spot than this? Then I went up to the North American nebula and I could definitely make out lighter patches of cloud/gas but it still feels like I need a darker site to get the most out of the filter. Would the OIII improve my viewing at home or will I get a similar effect as with the UHC?

Next up Mirach caught my eye, so I decided to have a look with the scope at Andromeda, a big grey fuzzy blob but one that never fails to catch the imagination. Then looking at Skysafari I saw that there was a nebula I'd never heard of right near my location, the Blue Snowball Nebula, and after following the trail of lambda, kappa and iota Andromeda, I found the little beauty. Wow, what a fantastic little object, it looked really good through the 15mm BST too, I was very impressed with the clarity and spent way too much time looking at it. 

Nearly 3.5 hours after starting, Mars had entered my south facing domain and I'd noticed it'd gotten very transparent. It's a shame Cygnus had disappeared over my roof at this point, or I'd attempt another pop at the veil. I went straight in with Mars at 5mm BST and the variable polarising lens. Honestly the best I've ever seen Mars, I was astonished at how good it looked through my 8" SW Dob. Previous attempts I'd been using averted vision to occasionally see surface detail, but last night, it just stayed detailed throughout transit across the eyepiece. I swapped between the 5mm and 8mm and both EP worked ever so well, I haven't had much chance to use them since purchase but I was incredibly pleased to have them last night. I even gave the 3.2mm a go for a laugh, but it did actually give some passable views, which was a nice surprise. I don't really know why the conditions improved so much to get views like I did on the Snowball and Mars, but I was very happy to get them!

Attached is a sketch of Mars through the 5mm on my phone using the Paper 53 app, as I've found this is the easiest way to document my views.  

Then just as I was packing up I saw the Pleiades were visible so got the 8*42 bins back out and had remarkable views of easily >20 brilliant blue stars, staggering beautiful, very much becoming my favourite object. I then dropped lower down to see the Hyades and beautiful golden Aldebaran twinkling away, stunning. What a brilliant night!

Mars 1409.png

• Like 14

Good job on the Blue Snowball and the planets. The Veil is a tricky one. I've taken SQM readings from home. LP map says 20.7, but no way, and I'm in a dark part of town without any direct lighting. It can just be seen where I live under actual 19.9-20.3 SQM (dark end of Bortle 5) with 15x70 bins and UHC, or in my 12" dob with OIII filter. I've done it with an 8" newt, but just. Views aren't very impressive though through any of these and it's very washed out. Bortle 6 or 7 in that case would be a struggle, especially if you've not seen it before.

The Veil loves the OIII filter under darker skies, and I saw the east Veil with binoculars/UHC filter under 21.15 the other night in the countryside. Could also barely make it out without filters, but having seen it before helps a lot here.

I'd recommend going to dark skies first (at least 21.00 if poss) to view with UHC or preferably OIII to get to grips with it, then try it again from home. 

It's so much better under darker skies though if you can take your dob somewhere rural, even for an hour. Good luck!

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 1

PS the North America Nebula through binoculars with UHC filters under rural skies is almost like a neon sign. It just glows. One of the best sights I've had. Maybe hold your UHC up to one side of your binoculars from home? Otherwise head for the countryside when you can! 

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ships and Stars said:

PS the North America Nebula through binoculars with UHC filters under rural skies is almost like a neon sign. It just glows. One of the best sights I've had. Maybe hold your UHC up to one side of your binoculars from home? Otherwise head for the countryside when you can! 

Great tip, will try next chance I get, thank you! 

• Like 1

On 15/09/2020 at 14:27, Ships and Stars said:

I have just tried this, although slightly awkward and not entirely dark I could definitely see big smears of light near Deneb! Now to fashion a filter holder to the end of my binos!

On 17/09/2020 at 21:26, IB20 said:

I have just tried this, although slightly awkward and not entirely dark I could definitely see big smears of light near Deneb! Now to fashion a filter holder to the end of my binos!

Good varied account of your session. The North America Nebula can be impressive, but it does require dark transparent skies and best when almost overhead. It would appear that you are getting there, if you can get to a darker location, with a reclining chair and your binoculars, with a method to steady the filter, you may be able to enjoy gaining more from this observation.

• Like 1