NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heads up - Jupiter - 9th Sep 8pm

dweller25

Seeing a bit wobbly here as well but the view is OK.

Does make me hanker for the days when Jupiter was high in the sky though. The details that my 12 inch dob would show back then far surpass what can be made out with it this low in the sky :rolleyes2:

GRS seems a little smaller than in previous years perhaps ?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, John said:

Seeing a bit wobbly here as well but the view is OK.

Does make me hanker for the days when Jupiter was high in the sky though. The details that my 12 inch dob would show back then far surpass what can be made out with it this low in the sky :rolleyes2:

GRS seems a little smaller than in previous years perhaps ?

Didn't they say it's been shrinking over the last few decades?🤔

I put the Dob out at 840, had a quick look almost straight away and sure enough the GRS was there. Its the first time I've seen it, a bit "wobbly" but very visible. I'll be going out again shortly now the scope's cooled.

Andy

• Like 1

Attempted to photograph the GRS transit last night.

At my location the southern view was completely obscured by clouds at 20.30, the time of the transit, but it did clear an hour later, although viewing conditions were rather unsteady. I obtained the following image at around 21.30 shortly before Jupiter went behind a tree from my location., and is the first image I have taken showing the GRS.

The image was taken from a 1 minute video using a Canon 6D digital SLR through my 14in Newtonian using eyepiece projection with a 9.7 mm Plossl eyepiece, converted in PIPP, and processed using Registax and Adobe Lightroom. 

Best Jupiter.jpg

Edited by johnturley

1 hour ago, dweller25 said:

I use an ios app called gas giants

I assume the info won't be specific to the UK, so you need to work out which transits will be visible from the UK, and which ones will be at a reasonable altitude, Astronomy Now magazine just lists the best ones from the UK. 

John