Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stepper motor

KyleStoke

Hi

Quick question. 

If I have a mount hub Pro or similar can I connect it to any stepper motor to control my focuser? 

I can see there is plenty of threads where people have built there own controler but I can't see if the motors are just plug and play 

Not sure what a mount hub pro is but I have built several stepper motor focuser's using the Hitec Astro focus controller. From memory the only thing to watch out for is that the Hitec unit requires a six wire stepper motor. I purchased some bargain listed motors that had a six pin connector but when checked they were internally four pin.

If you are skilled at electronics it is possible to build a driver interface to adapt four pin motors but that requires additional hardware and software.

Just looked up the Hitec Mount Hub pro and it may work with four pin stepper motors but its not clear in the text if that is the case.

Looks to have the same internals as the HT focus unit so must be six wire (unipolar)

Edited by Tomatobro
looked up the Mount hub pro

To quote the Hitec website for the Mount Hub Pro V4:

Choice to use Stepper or DC focus motor (we still recommend stepper motor for precise focusing) Compatible with any unipolar stepper motor. 

So it can only be used for 6 wire steppers (unipolar) and not 4 wire (bipolar) types. (A bipolar stepper motor driver can be used with unipolar motors but not visa versa.)