Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First unpleasant slomo control cable knock

Last night i had it.  That unpleasant “kloink” sound.  One of the slomo cables gave a soft knock at the tube.   I think i need a shorter or longer version.   I prefer a longer version but where do i get it?   Its not the small 6 mm skywatcher/etc connection, but more like 8 mm.   And the mount doesn’t  have the option to point the cable in another direction.   Does anyone know if those long cables are custom made or stock products somewhere?    

The slo-mo drape...

634950773_slo-modrape.JPG.0f8cedbe64d0b24b1bfb68d5555b5346.JPG

Those that drape, and out of the way, were made in Japan.  I'd give or trade <insert here> for a pair of those.

This alt-azimuth of my own came with at least one 8mm cable.  It also came with two 8mm knobs, without cables, and the way I prefer.  All three are shown here...

328104095_ATVImount2b.jpg.f72c7db2720635760431059bc9715251.jpg

8mm cables are difficult if not impossible to source.  However, 8mm knobs only may be found more readily, perhaps even from non-astronomy suppliers; for example, the 5/16"(7.94mm) of style-1 within this U.S. listing...

https://www.mcmaster.com/unthreaded-hole-knobs/unthreaded-hole-knobs-6/

...albeit only up to 38.1mm in diameter.

The cables made nowadays are stiff as an oak board, comparatively.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Alan64 said:

The slo-mo drape...

634950773_slo-modrape.JPG.0f8cedbe64d0b24b1bfb68d5555b5346.JPG

Those that drape, and out of the way, were made in Japan.  I'd give or trade <insert here> for a pair of those.

This alt-azimuth of my own came with at least one 8mm cable.  It also came with two 8mm knobs, without cables, and the way I prefer.  All three are shown here...

328104095_ATVImount2b.jpg.f72c7db2720635760431059bc9715251.jpg

8mm cables are difficult if not impossible to source.  However, 8mm knobs only may be found more readily, perhaps even from non-astronomy suppliers; for example, the 5/16"(7.94mm) of style-1 within this U.S. listing...

https://www.mcmaster.com/unthreaded-hole-knobs/unthreaded-hole-knobs-6/

...albeit only up to 38.1mm in diameter.

The cables made nowadays are stiff as an oak board, comparatively.

Ha yes.  It is indeed for that same white Gso mount.  I luckily received an extra 8 mm cable, little longer than the ones that come with this gso mount, with a porta mount not long ago.  But that longer cable is the one that knocks.    Ok so the 8 mm is hard to find🤔.  
I feel some mutual empathy coming up so i will also start the search for these 8 mm cables.  

Edited by Robindonne

17 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

Ha yes.  It is indeed for that same white Gso mount.  I luckily received an extra 8 mm cable, little longer than the ones that come with this gso mount, with a porta mount not long ago.  But that longer cable is the one that knocks.    Ok so the 8 mm is hard to find🤔.  
I feel some mutual empathy coming up so i will also start the search for these 8 mm cables.  

I get the gist that you have a refractor mounted.  You will need cables in that event.

6 minutes ago, John said:

I would have thought that would use the 6mm fitting cables ?

Those are the type that the supplier is recommending for that mount:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5122_TS-Optics-two-flexible-shafts-for-telescope-mounts-9-inch-and-4-5-inch.html

Astroboot usually has them:

https://www.astroboot.co.uk/AstroBoot/spare-parts-for-telescopes.html

I'm afraid that TS made an error in that, unless the manufacturer of the mount has complied with the 6mm standard in recent years.  The axes' shafts of the OP's GSO and of my own are 8mm in diameter.

Edited by Alan64

5 minutes ago, Alan64 said:

I'm afraid that TS made an error in that, unless the manufacturer of the mount has complied with the 6mm standard in recent years.  The axes' shafts of the OP's GSO and of my own are 8mm in diameter.

Looks like there are two versions, according to this supplier at least:

https://agenaastro.com/gso-slow-motion-focuser-knob.html

I agree that the 8mm size are somewhat harder to find.

5 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

I have a white version.   Same as Alan.  Maybe the black version has a smaller shaft?

oh sorry.  Read that agenaastro text just now.   The switch the shaft now and then

What telescope(s) are you using on the GSO mount?  Also, did you not get any knobs, without cables, with your GSO?

My own was made in the same factory as yours, but branded differently.

Edited by Alan64

9 minutes ago, John said:

Looks like there are two versions, according to this supplier at least:

https://agenaastro.com/gso-slow-motion-focuser-knob.html

I agree that the 8mm size are somewhat harder to find.

It appears that GSO has complied after all...

https://agenaastro.com/gso-flexible-slow-motion-cable-round-handle.html

I use a 120ed on it.  It was not possible with a porta mount but this gso does a perfect job with this telescope.   Yesterday i changed the position of the arm.  Its now fully vertical.  Hope to have solved the problem till a longer cable is found.

yes i have the knobs.   They are on the opposite side.   I changed the arm to the right and let the knobs stay at the “wrong” side.  

F6CEF87C-3570-4A58-9303-53D215325ED0.png

Edited by Robindonne
  • Like 1

I was able to get the pier that GSO made for our mounts, but that was back in 2003 or '04, I can't recall exactly.  The mount has a little difficulty with my apochromat, but mine's a porker for a 102mm...

FS-102mb.jpg.c2687cf916458e0718ad98a27fc320cb.jpg

The pier is, in fact, for longer refractors, only, and to keep the rear of the telescope from colliding with the hub and legs of the tripod.  As far as I know, only Andrews Communications of Australia still carries the pier, and listed here near the bottom of the page...

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-content-section-10-guansheng.htm

If you're interested.

Edited by Alan64
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alan64 said:

As far as I know, only Andrews Communications of Australia still carries the pier, and listed here near the bottom of the page...

What a shame they are on the other side.  Looks interesting that pier, including some other items.  I will email them tomorrow.   Thx for this link

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alan64 said:

Our mounts are lost in time with those 8mm shafts. :help2:

They probably last longer than the 6 mm😬.  
The reason i bought this mount was because it has the vixen hal 110 tripod(copy? It has a slightly wider head) included.   I was actually looking for a sturdy tripod for my porta head. The cost of this Gso mount is almost the same as the vixen tripod btw. 

Comparing the two mounts side by side made me realise the weak link of that porta mount is not only the tripod but the whole combination.  The damping time with that 120 mm is around 1 second with that gso.

While writing this, maybe the pillars for a vixen porta would also work.  

Edited by Robindonne
  • Like 1

Good to know that the mount will handle the ED120 OK. I'm not surprised that the Porta II won't. I found that the AZ-4 was not really up to it either even when put on a sold 2 inch steel legged tripod. I use the Skytee II or Giro Ercole for my ED120 now. Very solid.

Hope you manage to find an 8mm fitting slow mo cable soon.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, John said:

Good to know that the mount will handle the ED120 OK. I'm not surprised that the Porta II won't. I found that the AZ-4 was not really up to it either even when put on a sold 2 inch steel legged tripod. I use the Skytee II or Giro Ercole for my ED120 now. Very solid.

Hope you manage to find an 8mm fitting slow mo cable soon.

Its a really sturdy mount.  Surprised me a lot in a positive way.   With the arm mounted vertical, the slomo just sits nicely next to the focusknobs.   In an hour orso it will probably touch it again. 
Also nice are the tension screws on this gso. That porta needed a allen tool to adjust, with this one you have thumb screws to quickly adjust the tension of the alt-az movement   

3BAF2C77-5625-4C5E-9F7A-FA7C1F36A6F6.jpeg

Edited by Robindonne
  • Like 1

@Robindonne Rowan Engineering who make the AZ100 mount sell slo mo cables with an 8mm end connection, it’s 420mm long, not sure of the price though?

I’ve been after longer ultra flexible slo mo cables with 6mm connections for sometime but there just doesn’t seem to be anything around, it’s that bad I’m seriously looking at making my own!

There was a couple of vintage Takahashi cables on eBay recently that would have suited my needs, but was pipped at the post 🙁

In the meantime I’ve made do with a couple of Skywatcher cables joined together until I find something more suitable 🤔

BEF18F17-8295-4065-BFCF-44BEA0F5BE2E.jpeg

7AABBB3D-35EF-4C5A-A7D3-7DC568602C9F.jpeg

Edited by jock1958

On 07/09/2020 at 09:19, jock1958 said:

@Robindonne Rowan Engineering who make the AZ100 mount sell slo mo cables with an 8mm end connection, it’s 420mm long, not sure of the price though?

I’ve been after longer ultra flexible slo mo cables with 6mm connections for sometime but there just doesn’t seem to be anything around, it’s that bad I’m seriously looking at making my own!

There was a couple of vintage Takahashi cables on eBay recently that would have suited my needs, but was pipped at the post 🙁

In the meantime I’ve made do with a couple of Skywatcher cables joined together until I find something more suitable 🤔

BEF18F17-8295-4065-BFCF-44BEA0F5BE2E.jpeg

7AABBB3D-35EF-4C5A-A7D3-7DC568602C9F.jpeg

This extension idea is actually really nice.   Only if i could find a more flexible piece of 4”/10 cm.  

or something like this:

€ 4,30  45% Off | 1 PCS 98 CM Lente Gecoat Pin Type Metalen Buis Kabel Flexibele As Inner en Outer Voor Opknoping Motor Power gereedschap Accessoires Roterende
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BU9MZK

A5AE4427-E788-435D-AB61-052A86240FCB.png

5C0A34DB-C996-49C3-BC69-804EEA8E3D6A.png

Edited by Robindonne

4 hours ago, Robindonne said:

This extension idea is actually really nice.   Only if i could find a more flexible piece of 4”/10 cm.  

or something like this:

€ 4,30  45% Off | 1 PCS 98 CM Lente Gecoat Pin Type Metalen Buis Kabel Flexibele As Inner en Outer Voor Opknoping Motor Power gereedschap Accessoires Roterende
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BU9MZK

A5AE4427-E788-435D-AB61-052A86240FCB.png

5C0A34DB-C996-49C3-BC69-804EEA8E3D6A.png

That hanging mill flexible shaft looks like it may work but until you try it you will never know?

The last few days I’ve been trying to source the bits I need for my ideal flexible slo mo control cable and it’s proving a challenge!! 

• Like 1