SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First unpleasant slomo control cable knock

On 08/09/2020 at 21:51, jock1958 said:

That hanging mill flexible shaft looks like it may work but until you try it you will never know?

The last few days I’ve been trying to source the bits I need for my ideal flexible slo mo control cable and it’s proving a challenge!! 

Lol.  Metoo.   I just cant decide.   Would you choose a connector with both hex screws, or a..... dont know the english word....collet/nut?

maybe you can help or advice. 

the shaft:

€ 9,51  25% Off | 80 Cm 84 Cm 85 Cm 89 Cm 90 Cm 100 Cm 150 Cm Lange Flexibele Binnenkant As Voor terug Pack Pole Gras Bosmaaier Heggenschaar
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0Zr5AP

the connector for both ends Option 1:

€ 10,28  11% Off | Rc Boot Flexibele Koppeling Cnc Rvs 5 Mm/6 Mm/8 Mm/10 Mm * 6.35mm Cw/Ccw Flex Spantang Koppeling
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msqXf8b

the connector for both ends Option 2 (I hope to find one with 3 screws in a row, to use 2 for the cable):

€ 2,58 | 1 Pcs 4 Mm/5 Mm/6 Mm/8 Mm/10 Mm/12 Mm Koper starre As Koppeling Koppeling Motor Connector Mouw
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtjoOhD

the knobs and steelcable protection is not that hard to find.   
And hoped to find some connector who have on one side a crimping connection with the cable.  

im very curious about your slomo cable ingredients.   

9CFFBDB3-6D74-410C-9233-469429145332.jpeg

EED472AB-526A-4606-8A23-6E3AF299088A.jpeg

D3D71D76-F671-43E1-9241-ED5E9C0140F7.jpeg

Hi @Robindonne Ingredients for my DIY slomo cable haven’t been entirely successful, I bought a length of sink / drain unblocking cable with home made end connectors but was unable to apply any substantial torque to the control wheel due to the spring action of the cable.

I haven’t given up just yet, I’ve contacted a company that makes cables for the automotive industry to see if they can help out, I’ll keep you posted on that.

As far as what you illustrated above it looks good to me, I prefer those collet end connections as you can tighten them up using a small spanner, the connections with the grub screws & Allen key might round off after a while. 

• 3 months later...

Hmm.  Tried the diy solutions to make longer slomo cables.   First option failed due to too thin core.  The cable core was only 4-5 mm thick.  Besides hanging almost straight to the floor, it also had too much flexibility.

For take two, i almost ordered two 8 mm shafts, a silicon protection tube, metal end parts to make a connection to the mount and a connection for a handle etc.  

Then this item showed up.  Its a set of 3 screwdrivers, flexible, has a sturdy 8 mm metal core, semi soft handles and 3 different types of connectors.  All 3 connectors have some sort of click system to attach bits and other tools.   I think it will make a nice quick release attachement to the mount.  Although it looks a bit weird to use screwdriver handles (who cares, its dark when they are in use), the feel really good. Are long and soft, so no painful knock to the telescope tube😬.

Only thing thats needed is a nice looking connector on the mount shafts.  Any tips are welcome!!

the screwdrivers feel solid, are 600 mm long and the total costs were €15,-

https://www.hbm-machines.com/producten/gereedschap-en-toebehoren/schroevendraaiers-en-schroevendraaiersets/hbm-3-delige-flexibele-schroevendraaierset

36156903-DF7E-4F34-A262-C9845CB70DE2.jpeg

9D48E0CD-3B70-490B-B364-CFDBD93C840C.jpeg

C0695D3C-57F7-4B1A-B989-E3F827D208F3.jpeg

B112A4B4-EFA9-4432-842A-6E4A198BA851.jpeg

Edited by Robindonne