Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Printing images

Endolf

Hi

Wondering if anyone has had any of their images printed, I've had a request to get one of mine printed (I know, came as a surprise to me too....). I've never had any photo printed, let alone at 16"x12" size, and certainly never any of my astro images.

Wondering if anyone has any guidelines, or places they'd recommend in the UK?

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Endolf said:

Hi

Wondering if anyone has had any of their images printed, I've had a request to get one of mine printed (I know, came as a surprise to me too....). I've never had any photo printed, let alone at 16"x12" size, and certainly never any of my astro images.

Wondering if anyone has any guidelines, or places they'd recommend in the UK?

Thanks.

Today I left in 8 versions of the same image (lighter, sharper, smoother, more colour, etc) on a memory stick to my local art shop to print out small test sizes and see which one looks best. I’ve found at home that what looks best on screen doesn’t print out best.  I’m calling back in tomorrow to get them, I will update you if interested.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Today I left in 8 versions of the same image (lighter, sharper, smoother, more colour, etc) on a memory stick to my local art shop to print out small test sizes and see which one looks best. I’ve found at home that what looks best on screen doesn’t print out best.  I’m calling back in tomorrow to get them, I will update you if interested.

That would be good. Thanks.

I'm having troubles finding what looks best across 2 operating systems on the same PC, let alone on different PCs with different screens... 🙄😆

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I've had the same experience Adam. What looks best on screen tends to look a bit underwhelming when printed. You almost have to 'over-process' the image a bit for it to look it's best in printed form.

Interested to see how you get on with your multiple versions.

• Like 2

I do quite of a lot of prints for magazine publication and find that a 'print curve' like this is useful since printing tends to darken the faint signal. You don't have to worry about the faint low level noise which it will add when seen on screen at full size. That won't show in print.

2069849178_printcurve.thumb.JPG.6e8d364231b0347b0c169f52948dc079.JPG

Olly

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I do quite of a lot of prints for magazine publication and find that a 'print curve' like this is useful since printing tends to darken the faint signal. You don't have to worry about the faint low level noise which it will add when seen on screen at full size. That won't show in print.

2069849178_printcurve.thumb.JPG.6e8d364231b0347b0c169f52948dc079.JPG

Olly

Really useful to know Olly, thanks!