Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any users of the Explore Scientific EXOS-2 PMC-Eight GOTO Mount out there?

Chris

Hello all, I've been looking for an affordable EQ goto mount for the observatory I'm building for a while now, but as many will know you just can't get hold of Skywatcher and Celestron mounts at the moment. I've therefore started to look elsewhere and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Explore Scientific EXOS-2 PMC-Eight GOTO Mount?

On paper it looks good for a £700 mount even boasting belt drives.

I was also looking at the Bresser Messier EXOS-2 EQ GOTO Mount, so any input or experiences from owners of these mounts would be great to hear.

Are there any better options at the moment sub £800? Considering you can't get HEQ5's or AVX's currently, and they get snapped up super quick if they appear. 

Thanks

Chris

Edited by Lockie

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Greymouser said:

I am sure you have already seen, it but there was a review in The Sky at Night magazine. There are also several reviews on You Tube, such as this.

I too have been looking at this, but do wonder if it is too good to be true...

Thank you, that's great. I've seen a few videos on Youtube including the one you linked which I thought was very good. Like you say though it almost seems too good to be true. I do need to read the S@N review still so thanks for that link. 

Despite 2-3 review videos there really doesn't seem to be many people with these mounts out their in our circles or in circulation, or at least any that are willing to talk about it. Luckily FLO started stocking these very mount just the other day, so after a quick discussion with Grant at FLO I bought one to review. I will mainly be testing it out in the the little obsy I'm currently building. 

I'm actually hopeful after seeing some further software videos for Explore Star and the PMC8 goto system. If everything goes positively it will be a great alternative to the very well rooted HEQ5, but I guess we'll see :)

p.s. here they are at FLO! 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/explore-scientific-mounts/explore-scientific-exos-2-pmc-eight-goto-mount.html

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Lockie said:

so after a quick discussion with Grant at FLO I bought one to review. I will mainly be testing it out in the the little obsy I'm currently building. 

I'm actually hopeful after seeing some further software videos for Explore Star and the PMC8 goto system. If everything goes positively it will be a great alternative to the very well rooted HEQ5, but I guess we'll see :)

Indeed, on paper it seems like a viable alternative to the HEQ5m cheaper and more available too! I await your review, with anticipation. :smiley:

• Like 1