Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

RACI Eyepiece Orientation...

At the moment, I've got the RACI eyepiece vertical in relation to the OTA. I was wondering if it's possible or advisable to rotate it anticlockwise, so that it's more in line with the focuser and main eyepiece. 

Thoughts? 🤔

20200826_094506.jpg

20200826_094714.jpg

I have mine at the same angle as the focuser. You just loosen the finder a little in it's mount, turn it so the eyepiece is at the angle you want and then re-set the finder in it's mount. You will probably need to re-align the finder with the main scope again after doing this.

I do this with the RACI finders on my refractors as well.

dobtopp5mm.JPG

I need to do this with mine but the only thing I can see holding it in are the adjustment screws. Do we just loosen those and twist? I don't want to break anything through brute force and ignorance 😀

Andy 

22 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Just loosen the two screws and rotate it. You’ll find once you loosen the screws it will turn very easily or indeed will just flop about a bit. 😁

The metal spring loaded screw holds it in place with tension, also there's a black rubber band/gasket/washer towards the front on the finderscope that also holds it in place. I found that on the straight through finderscope, that this black rubber ring always slipped out of it's retaining groove.

Following this tip from John here, I too have done the same and is much better. The other tweak was to rotate the focuser 45 degrees too, to sit more horizontal when the OTA is at 45 degrees. Old pic of mine attached, have moved the telrad down a bit since.

096ADDCA-E53A-4ED6-A7E8-E4FAC6A073FC.jpeg

Edited by Stardaze