Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Calculation of Transit/Culmination Time of Star

I am searching for an online calculation tool that will tell me the exact transit/culmination time for a given celestial object (e.g. a star) for my specific geographical location and date.  I want to know the exact time a star will cross the highest point in the sky for my location.

I seem to be having trouble locating this type of calculator.  I can find all sorts of other information, but I simply want to know the transit time of a star for my location and date.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Archayus

2 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

SkiSafari app has transit times of stars in the info page for the object

B9470AA6-79B8-4C15-95D4-31ED9FBB57F2.png

Thanks very much!  I downloaded the app and found exactly the information I was looking for.  I appreciate your response!

I am wondering if there are any apps that would allow one to set up an alarm, alert, or chime for transit / rising / setting times of any particular celestial object, like a star, for a given geographic location.  For example, one could set up an active alert for "30 minutes after Arcturus Rises", or "Rigel Transit", etc.

There is an app called "Sol" in which you can set up alerts for Sun transits (e.g. 30 minutes before Sunset, Solar Midnight, etc).  But I am looking for one that will work with Stellar objects instead.  

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Archayus

1 hour ago, Archayus said:

Thanks very much!  I downloaded the app and found exactly the information I was looking for.  I appreciate your response!

For planets you can get alerts when they rise, if you select the Planet Rising option in the Notifications section which is in Settings - Appearance and Behaviour.

If you know the time of the event at your location, wouldn't an ordinary alarm of some sort do?  I used to watch occulations of stars by asteroids, and used a normal alarm clock to get up for them, then a radio clock and dictaphone to record the exact time of the event as it happened.

It's unbelievable that people can predict such events with high precision and you can be watching the star through your telescope and watch it wink out of view and reappear a few seconds later.

Thanks for your responses.  I definitely want an automatic notification for star transits, because the time of the transit changes each day, so manually setting it every day would be cumbersome.  I did investigate SkySafari's features in this regard, and found it only gives notifications for planet or satellite events, but not for deep sky object events, which is what I am looking for.

So I am still searching for an app that can do this.

Thanks again!

On 24/08/2020 at 19:55, Archayus said:

I did investigate SkySafari's features in this regard, and found it only gives notifications for planet or satellite events, but not for deep sky object events, which is what I am looking for.

If you know which constellation the DSO is in, you could just set an alert for that. Or you could use the closest star too!