NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC 1284 and surroundings

mftoet

This field of view with lots of ancient yellow stars can be found in the hart of the Milky Way between the more familiar Messier objects M16/M17 and M8/M20 (and probably therefore often overlooked). IC 1284 is the circulair pink nebula just above the center. Attached to it on the lower left is IC 1283. Together they are also catalogued as Sharpless 2-37. The two blue reflection nebulas to the lower left of Sh2-37 are Van den Bergh (VdB) 118 and 119. The the dark clouds on the right side are Barnard 92 and 93.

Exposure time: 3 hours, 10 minutes (5 min. subs) | Optics: Takahashi ε-180ED f/2.8 | Camera: Nikon D810a (ISO 400) | Mount: Astro-Physics Mach1 GTO | Guiding: Lacerta MGEN + Vixen 70S SQM: 21.3 - 21.5 magnitude/arcsec² | Location: Étoile-Saint-Cyrice, France | Date: August 14 & 19, 2020 | Processing: Astro Pixel Processor, PixInsingt and Photoshop CC

i-M5cbWnt-X5.jpg

• Like 14

Yes, it’s always a pleasure to enjoy the Milky Way in full splendour at Olly’s Les Granges and having mr. Penrice around - though at proper distance - with his great sense of humour. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mftoet said:

Thanks. @gorann: I just returned home to 52 °N, but I see you're almost at 60 °N. Time to book a trip to Namibia 😉 (Well, after the pandemic, that is.)

Soon, just have to download all the photons up here first😎