Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

stellarium problems

hi

im having a few problems with stellarium ,first open gl problems with any version i try install

the only version i have got to run is version 14 but when going to connect telescope it wont configure the button seems disabled

so im a little confused ,iam running a windows 7 64 bit operating system

but the laptops quite old a lenova thinkpad 

any help with a work around would be great or do i need a newer laptop many thanks

12 minutes ago, si717 said:

im having a few problems with stellarium ,first open gl problems with any version i try install

Go to the windows start menu > stellarium > stellarium (angle mode).

14 minutes ago, si717 said:

the only version i have got to run is version 14 but when going to connect telescope it wont configure the button seems disabled

From the plugins > telescope control, press the load at startup button and the restart stellarium.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jamgood said:

Have you installed the ASCOM drivers and set up EQMOD with the relevant settings?

hi no i havent got that far i didnt know i would need eqmod on youtube it shows a straight connect to stallerium but i will look into that thanks

10 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Go to the windows start menu > stellarium > stellarium (angle mode).

From the plugins > telescope control, press the load at startup button and the restart stellarium.

thanks thats got the new version running i will look into telescope now thankyou

13 hours ago, si717 said:

hi no i havent got that far i didnt know i would need eqmod on youtube it shows a straight connect to stallerium but i will look into that thanks

EQMOD is  a driver for certain mounts. Other drivers are available under ASCOM for other mounts. Stellarium does offer a direct connection to the mount, the main difference is the way in which the cable from the PC connects to the mount. If using directly thro Stellarium, the cable needs to connect to the handset, which then connects to the mount (i.e PC -> handset -> mount). But if you use an EQdirect cable then you would connect directly to the mount and control using ASCOM drivers.

Edited by AstroMuni

6 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

EQMOD is  a driver for certain mounts. Other drivers are available under ASCOM for other mounts. Stellarium does offer a direct connection to the mount, the main difference is the way in which the cable from the PC connects to the mount. If using directly thro Stellarium, the cable needs to connect to the handset, which then connects to the mount (i.e PC -> handset -> mount). But if you use an EQdirect cable then you would connect directly to the mount and control using ASCOM drivers.

yes i got it all up and running ,i went with the direct pc usb to handset ,i only want stellarium as easier to find a targets and slew

rather than always looking at my phone and using the hand control ,so dont think ive any need for ascom and eqmod as of yet 

im not plate solving or anything so think im good to go ,many thanks for the helpfull advice .

Clear skys

22 hours ago, si717 said:

i only want stellarium as easier to find a targets and slew

As you have an older laptop and had issues with Stellarium, take a look at Cartes du Ciel too. Its not that pretty but its also not that CPU hungry.

A lot of the folk here use ASCOM drivers as you get a lot more functionality and you can also do the polar alignment with it. Here is a good link https://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-setting-up-an-equatorial-mount-on-ascom-with-eqmod-stellarium-and-cartes-du-ciel.html#Section3.2

HTH.

• Like 1