Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars 4am BST 18 August

baggywrinkle

Nice shots. Well done! :) 

I was out this morning from 1am to 2:30am. Using my Mars filter on my Omni 120 ‘frac I could see the south polar cap very easily, along with some subtle details on the surface when the seeing clicked in with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

I was out this morning from 1am to 2:30am. Using my Mars filter on my Omni 120 ‘frac I could see the south polar cap very easily, along with some subtle details on the surface when the seeing clicked in with.

I was looking at this morning between 2 & 3am. The view sounds similar to yours but I’ve rarely ever had a good view of Mars. Seeing was exceptionally good so I think it was probably my best view of it to date. :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Trying to decide if i like my Mars B filter or not. It does increase contrast so subtle dark features are a bit easier to make out and it does make mars look very red! but theres more colour variation without and the detail’s still there without- just needs a bit more time to visually integrate it. Mars was stunning last night at 2am from here in London either way.

I'm finding that the surface markings on Mars are not standing out as clearly as usual this year, suspect some dust activity, but not a global dust storm at least not at present, however the south polar cap (now melting rapidly) has been standing out very clear. 

John 

I didn't use any filters, just the Altair camera at native focal length. I initially used a Bhatinov mask on Capella to focus before I swung round to Mars. The previous week I used the Moon to try and get a sharp focus then swung to Mars. The seeing then was worse. See images below.  I think the rain we had cleared the atmosphere a bit.

03_12_52_20200811 Mars.jpg