Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eq3-2 vs Dobsonian

Nair al Saif

Ok, Thanatos to John, Stu and Alkaid I have decided for a skywatcher 6inch dob, with polarising filter, and an extra Celestron 6mm eyepiece for 200x planetary.

Stable Mount, great optics. Great Magnification and soon I may buil an eq platform. Got a lot of wood in the garage!

Edited by Nair al Saif

The 6” used to be considered the “starter” dob years ago but now the 8” is considered the “starter” dob. 

This quote covers it pretty well.

”The 8", therefore, has nearly double the light-gathering ability. The striking thing, too, is that 6" and 8" dobs are very similar in size, weight, portability, etc. An 8" f/6 scope is about 48" long. A 6" f/8 scope is about, you guessed it, 48 inches long.”

Edited by johninderby

I agree with John re: the desirability of the additional aperture but budgets are important too and there will be some additional accessories that you are likely to want over the coming weeks / months so don't blow all your £'s on the scope.

31 minutes ago, John said:

I agree with John re: the desirability of the additional aperture but budgets are important too and there will be some additional accessories that you are likely to want over the coming weeks / months so don't blow all your £'s on the scope.

Yeah together the 6inch dob with accessories costs 250 meanwhile the scope only on the 8 inch is 283. Actually with the accessories the 8 inch costs 319(same as the eq lol)

Would collimating be a bigger issue because of the lower f ratio?

6 minutes ago, Nair al Saif said:

Yeah together the 6inch dob with accessories costs 250 meanwhile the scope only on the 8 inch is 283. Actually with the accessories the 8 inch costs 319(same as the eq lol)

Would collimating be a bigger issue because of the lower f ratio?

There is not a lot of difference in collimation ease / maintenance between the two scopes.

The accessories you have mentioned so far are just the start ........

Just a thought regarding the EQ3, the more solid EQ5/CG5 equatorials regularly come up for sale on the used market - they would hold a 150PL nice and steady. I bought a used CG5 without motors but with 2" legs (very solid) for £120 - add a slow mo cable and tracking becomes easy. I would think finding one with motors (non-goto) wouldn't be hard. If that option appeals you could always try a wanted ad? Regarding the 8"F6 versus 6"F8, I've never compared the two, but I can tell you that I have been incredibly impressed with my 6" F8, it's a great all round performer.

Another point to note is that if 2" eyepieces and accesories are important to you, the 150P Dob has a 2" focuser but the 150PL does not.

2 hours ago, RobertI said:

Just a thought regarding the EQ3, the more solid EQ5/CG5 equatorials regularly come up for sale on the used market - they would hold a 150PL nice and steady. I bought a used CG5 without motors but with 2" legs (very solid) for £120 - add a slow mo cable and tracking becomes easy. I would think finding one with motors (non-goto) wouldn't be hard. If that option appeals you could always try a wanted ad? Regarding the 8"F6 versus 6"F8, I've never compared the two, but I can tell you that I have been incredibly impressed with my 6" F8, it's a great all round performer.

Another point to note is that if 2" eyepieces and accesories are important to you, the 150P Dob has a 2" focuser but the 150PL does not.

Thanks obv if there is something like a bargain eq5 l will take it in consideration! 
Yeah thanks for pointing that out about the focuser, fine details lol!

i think if I find but the dob then later I can upgrade!

...but 200 bucks on a mount that’s more than the ota lol.

Edited by Nair al Saif