NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Why is it all black?!

I feel very stupid but I'm not sure what to do. I bought a 127 mak. All I can see is black though if I point it at something in the sky. 

Lens caps are off. 

I've had it to pieces in that the eye piece have visual through it, the diagonal has image through it. 

If I shine a touch down the end of the tube I can see white light through the eye piece so it is passing light. 

I have moved the focusser to both ends of the extreme. 

Still no luck. Where am I being an idiot? 

Are you getting your eye placement right for the eyepiece, they can blackout, also called kidney beaning i think if not right , try it during the day may be easier to understand

How is it during the day? Can you set it up so you can confirm that the finder and scope are looking at the same place (centre the scope on a distant tree or streetlight, then adjust the finder so it's centred on the same thing).

Then leave it until you can see the Moon rising, and get that centred in the finder. You should be able to see that and get it into focus.

You can then look for stars, again using the finder to start with.

• Like 1

I quess you need to use a finderscope or red dot finder, and try to find the moon for example, get the moon in the center of the eyepiece and then as quick as you can, adjust the finderscopes crosshaires or red dot also at the center of the moon.  Check them after you finished because In the eyepiece the moon is probably offcenter again.  When the finderscope is alligned with the main scope, you try to “find” a star with the finderscope and check the eyepiece again, it should show the star. Starting on the moon might also help you to focus.

Edited by Robindonne