NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Light grab n go tripod with stability.

I like to take my 80mm Skywatcher Equinox away with me on holiday. We are currently in Barmouth. So space in the car was at a premium. I brought with me an EQ5 type tripod which has 1 1/2" diameter legs combined with a Skywatcher AZ4 mount. It did take up a lot of car space. I once had a Manfrotto photograhic tripod. But it did not offer stability. Just wondered if there is a camera tripod that is sturdy but has a small pack down space and gives a reasonable degree of stability?

Edited by Guest

The Berlebach Report tripods are very light and compact when collapsed but very stable as well I recently replaced a steel tripod with 1.75” legs with a 212 Report and found it reduced vibration a fair bit.Downside £££££ BTW you don’t have to use the tray as it’s just for putting eyepieces etc on.

https://www.berlebach.de/en/?bereich=details&id=174  

05E131A1-802D-48F2-98E3-50A8ED241B34.jpeg

1FD2DC75-5DA0-4807-BDD5-5C3CD1708D9E.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Grumpy Martian said:

I like to take my 80mm Skywatcher Equinox away with me on holiday. We are currently in Barmouth. So space in the car was at a premium. I brought with me an EQ5 type tripod which has 1 1/2" diameter legs combined with a Skywatcher AZ4 mount. It did take up a lot of car space. I once had a Manfrotto photograhic tripod. But it did not offer stability. Just wondered if there is a camera tripod that is sturdy but has a small pack down space and gives a reasonable degree of stability?

Which model tripod?

IMG_0660.thumb.JPG.c0cda8510acd51b8dccf7f8596e13ace.JPG    IMG_0580.thumb.JPG.fc6f227bf7e974dd59c6c96ea3f25fe2.JPG

I was using my ETX105 on DwarfStar mount mounted on a Manfrotto 055PROB with out issues on Saturday (25/07.2020) whilst viewing Jupiter and Saturn. I occasionally attach the AOK-AYO or Tele-Optic Giro to it as well. For best performance, I find it best not to fully extend the tripod legs and this will increase stability and minimise/dampen vibrations.

• Like 1

I'd recently spent some time myself looking for a tripod that would be reasonably portable (which for me usually means car, or short carry, and very occasionally backpacking for use on a camp/trail). Previously I had owned a Televue Gibraltar tripod (ash) though it was not exactly light it was very stable.  I've been through dozens of reviews of all the latest clones, carbon tripods, and also looked at the iOptron stainless steel tripod. The latter folds down to approx the same size as a Manfrotto 055 (which I've owned before) and is not especially heavy or expensive. I was almost ready to order the iOptron then noticed wait times. I'd rather spend time reading/observing than shopping so I ordered a Manfrotto 055 3-section (aluminium), it being the devil I know. Manfrotto make some smaller tripods which are compact and lightweight, often with 4-sections. These are not going to be stable enough for you but the 055 is reasonably sturdy.  The possibility to have a tripod for photographic use and a whole range of accessories is a plus. Speaking of accessories, there are some spiked feet options for the 055 (to replace the rubber caps) and I'll be getting a set in due course. Also planning on a mesh basket to affix below so I can add ballast if needed. If you have the budget the Berlebach that would be a good choice. I'm planning an obsy so need to preserve funds for the fixed setup.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...