Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dont laugh

Arlington1

So I took my first pics of the moon last night. just with my galaxy S9 through my Celestron 127 SLT. Be gentle with me, I know they are not up to the standard of some of you more experience guys but, I am happy!

moon2.jpg.a1437ca9ff319b5ac68fb6ce8e2a2919.jpgmoon.jpg.047d85cfae51f84e4a17cdd62327462b.jpg

• Like 8

Those are some great results from a simple smartphone!

Like said, you should get a phone holder if you plan to image with your smartphone.

Also, I recommend you get an app that let's you control things like aperture, shutter speed, ISO... (if your default camera app doesnt allow to control them)

A good (and free) app for Android is one called Camera FV-5 Lite. I use that quite often and it's really good.

Keep those images coming and clear skies!

S

4 minutes ago, Arlington1 said:

I have got a smart phone holder. Just cant get on with it!

I have a nice baader Hyperion eye peice and I am thinking of getting the adaptors so I can connect my Canon 70d to it

You can always get the adaptors 3d printed, much cheaper and definitely much more fun!

Just now, Arlington1 said:

Thats interesting. How would I do that?

Well, first thing would be to check if adapters for your model have already been designed, check websites like Thingiverse. If they have been made but for similar models, you can tweak them and resize them to fir your camera on free software like Ultimaker Cura. And of course you'll be needing a 3d printer.

56 minutes ago, Arlington1 said:

So I took my first pics of the moon last night. just with my galaxy S9 through my Celestron 127 SLT. Be gentle with me, I know they are not up to the standard of some of you more experience guys but, I am happy!

Looks good! Moon filter on the eyepiece might help, but if you don't have that, does your scope cap have a small hole in it that you can open? Or even failing that, just tape some paper with a small opening in it over the aperture would help to decrease the brightness.

2 minutes ago, RobH2020 said:

Looks good! Moon filter on the eyepiece might help, but if you don't have that, does your scope cap have a small hole in it that you can open? Or even failing that, just tape some paper with a small opening in it over the aperture would help to decrease the brightness.

Thanks and yes. I did drag out a moon filter that the Mrs brought me with the scope. I used it last night but pics came out with the moon looking green.

moon3.jpg.8f807fefafef6f6d91520cce0cf3f13e.jpg

8 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The Baader neodynium filter helps a lot and gives a natural grey looking moon. 

I agree, the Contrast Booster filter which some observers prefer, gives objects a yellowish cast.

John 

18 minutes ago, johnturley said:

I agree, the Contrast Booster filter which some observers prefer, gives objects a yellowish cast.

John 

Which is why I sold my contrast booster filter. Just didn’t get on with it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Which is why I sold my contrast booster filter. Just didn’t get on with it.

I think people use it when there is a full moon, some people cant stand the brightness I guess. But they could also use a cardboard on the aperture 🤔🤔

Clear skies,

S

Edited by feverdreamer1

1 minute ago, feverdreamer1 said:

I think people use it when there is a full moon, some people cant stand the brightness I guess. But they could also use a cardboard on the aperture 🤔🤔

Clear skies,

S

An aperture mask will reduce resolution.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, feverdreamer1 said:

I'd prefer that to having a blue stain on my eyesight the whole night if I had eyesight problems 

That's why you want an ND filter to attenuate brightness without reducing aperture.

The Moon is actually as black as a lump of coal, pity the Sun is so bright.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ags said:

That's why you want an ND filter to attenuate brightness without reducing aperture.

The Moon is actually as black as a lump of coal, pity the Sun is so bright.

I agree with you, a ND filter would be the way to go, I meant what I said as a very temporary diy solution. 

S

14 minutes ago, feverdreamer1 said:

I agree with you, a ND filter would be the way to go, I meant what I said as a very temporary diy solution. 

S

Something to make do with while waiting for an ND filter to arrive. 👍🏻

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1