NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Askar FM180 - RedCat alternative?

I’ve been looking for a compact scope that could double as an astrograph and terrestrial spotter and came across this. As far as I can see it’s manufactured by SharpStar

http://www.askarlens.com/index.php/wap/class3/186.html

It’s not what I was looking for to be honest but I’m interested now. It doesn’t say what the ED elements are so I’m guessing not FPL-53. Maybe someone can explain the spot diagrams, is it regarding colour correction?

Anyone know anything about this? Potential RedCat competitor?

It’s available at Teleskop Express. I feel the urge to pull the trigger on this!

Edited by Icesheet

Looks really good, but I don't think it can be paralelled with the RedCat, they are different things.  The Redcat is a Petzval and has a couple of other features such as built in bahtinov mask, dew shield and the facility to house a 2" filter internally.  The newer version also has a built in tilt plate.

I think it looks like a really good piece of kit, at a good price, but probably fairer to compare it with similar FL camera lenses.

Edited by RayD
  • Like 1

Yeah, I see their ACL 200mm lens is probably more of a RedCat competitor. Interested to see how it compares to my Samyang 135. Also looking forward to see how it does with a 1.25” star diagonal attached. Since it’s modular I’m hoping it will be a very compact travel companion. 

8 minutes ago, Icesheet said:

Yeah, I see their ACL 200mm lens is probably more of a RedCat competitor. Interested to see how it compares to my Samyang 135. Also looking forward to see how it does with a 1.25” star diagonal attached. Since it’s modular I’m hoping it will be a very compact travel companion. 

Defintiely.  Look forward to seeing how you get on with it.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2020 at 14:46, Icesheet said:

Probably right. I’ll find out anyway as I couldn’t resist temptation and ordered one 🙈

I gave in and ordered one too, I could have waited and find out if its any good, but its 10% off as an introductory offer and at £350 I can live with myself if it turns out to be a bit meh. If its good then its probably exactly what I wanted for an ultra portable setup.

Adam

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam J said:

I gave in and ordered one too, I could have waited and find out if its any good, but its 10% off as an introductory offer and at £350 I can live with myself if it turns out to be a bit meh. If its good then its probably exactly what I wanted for an ultra portable setup.

Adam

Nice one! You'll probably have a chance to get it out before me. Will still be a few weeks before I have skies anywhere near dark enough.

On 28/07/2020 at 15:37, RayD said:

Looks really good, but I don't think it can be paralelled with the RedCat, they are different things.  The Redcat is a Petzval and has a couple of other features such as built in bahtinov mask, dew shield and the facility to house a 2" filter internally.  The newer version also has a built in tilt plate.

I think it looks like a really good piece of kit, at a good price, but probably fairer to compare it with similar FL camera lenses.

180mm is similar to 250mm in my book :)

You have to admire some of the features of this too, the ability to place a 2 inch filter over the front of the lens cell, even a cheap filter will never cause reflections from that position or vignetting on full frame sensors for that matter. You could go ultra portable and change filters without the need for a wheel. The back focus after the reducer corrector is huge something like 75mm so you can fit a tilt adaptor and an off axis guider and a filter wheel with space to spare.

Its is a simpler optical design than the Redcat so less to go wrong, I am not sure how it is now but I kept seeing coma on the early Redcats.

Its a slightly faster F-ratio at F4.5 so good for a mobile rig when you might not get multiple nights on a target and lets face it you have to stop most camera lenses down to F4 anyway if you want to get the sharpest stars. Its a good size for viewing an eclipse or for imaging a total eclipse full disk with a planetary camera.

You can put a diagonal or a solar wedge on it without any special extra expensive adaptors from WO costing £100 just for a 1.25 inch diagonal.  Again I have traveling to see a total eclipse in 2024 in mind here.

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/125-inch-redcat-erecting-prism-for-redcat-51-only.html

Finally it comes with all the extentions to allow you to attach it to many different cameras included in the package.

I think I can see an easy way to add an autofocuser.

All in all for half the cost of a redcat. If it turns out to be ok optically this thing is a steal at the £350 I just paid if you ask me. I guess for me I just could not have a £700 scope sitting about doing nothing for most of the year when I am not traveling. 

Adam

I note it’s not even listed anymore on the site I presume you ordered it from @Adam J. I cancelled an order from another supplier as they were showing stock so I hope there’s not an issue. Have you heard anything since you ordered?

Edited by Icesheet

3 minutes ago, Icesheet said:

I note it’s not even listed anymore on the site I presume you ordered it from @Adam J. I cancelled an order from another supplier as they were showing stock so I hope there’s not an issue. Have you heard anything since you ordered?

Ignore that. I just checked back and it’s showing again but out of stock.

1 minute ago, Icesheet said:

If you mean 365Astronomy then yes. I have my email from them confirming my purchase and have heard nothing from them since that. I know that they only had 2 left in stock after I ordered and that a friend of mine bagged one of those two, that would have left only one after him and so I am assuming that they have just sold out and so removed it from the site in the absence of any other information.

Adam

15 minutes ago, Icesheet said:

I got the order confirmation so should have one too 👍🏻

Nice, well they have put up a message saying that the first batch sold out in only 2 days....