Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Caught both tails without a star tracker!

I wanted to try and catch both tails of comet Neowise but without owning a startracker I thought I would try 60 x 3 second exposures on a fixed tripod, and it kind of worked. I'm pretty sure I'm seeing both tails!

Fuji XT100 with a vintage 135mm Super Takumar lens @ ISO 6400

Processed almost entirely in DSS. The stars are a bit rubbish and there's some noise but hey ho. 

Comet4.png

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 11

Just now, happy-kat said:

I caught both tails on a static tripod, I used a vintage 55mm lens 6 seconds f2.8 ISO1600 as I prefer the wider field of view in proximity to terrestrial objects like a tree foreground.

Me too, but I've already taken shots between 28mm and 70mm with foreground interest, so thought I'd try and close up. 

4 hours ago, RobertI said:

Nice one Chris, the Ion tail (?) is super clear. 

Thanks Robert, yes one tail is the dust tail and then there is the harder to capture Ion tail. I had to stretch the data within an inch of it's life at just 3 second exposures as you can imagine but the Ion tail is there which I'm pleased about :) 

• Like 1