NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Sky Portal Wifi adaptor alternative?

Does one exist? As the celestron one seems pricey for whats essentially just a dongle.

I have a cpc800 which has the aux port that the sky portal goes in, however I'm sure I read somewhere people have used other equipment plugged into the handset directly, mine being the older Nextsar+ with the RJ11 cable, not the newer USB one.

Thanks

There is Skyfi, but that is £249.😮

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/skyfi-iii-wireless-telescope-control-system.html

Maybe best to look for secondhand Sky Portal Wifi adaptor, but there are three versions. 

Make sure it's a Mark III version, as Mark I and II are rubbish because of poor signal.

Edited by Mick H
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mick H said:

There is Skyfi, but that is £249.😮

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/skyfi-iii-wireless-telescope-control-system.html

Maybe best to look for secondhand Sky Portal Wifi adaptor, but there are three versions. 

Make sure it's a Mark III version, as Mark I and II are rubbish because of poor signal.

I'm suprised theres no cheaper 3rd party alternative, with the amount of people who have or will swop across at some point.   Cheers for the tip on the version, I assumed there would be so that was probably going to be a question at some point. Bl**dy rip off though considering the costs of wifi adapters and boosters these days.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

That could be the alternative I was reading about, as I remember they said it connected to the handset and not the aux port.

Maybe this would work:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/USR-WIFI232-610-Serial-802-11-Ethernet-Converter/dp/B00QWYW8E4

Edited by DeathWarpedUp

1 hour ago, DeathWarpedUp said:

as I remember they said it connected to the handset

Yes, that would be the case if you are using software that needed the handset's computer. If you are using a driver like EQMOD (as a example) then my guess is that it could be plugged directly into Mount.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

Yes, that would be the case if you are using software that needed the handset's computer. If you are using a driver like EQMOD (as a example) then my guess is that it could be plugged directly into Mount.

The eqmod won't work on an alt az mount.

I have the serial cabe to USB, so I can plug the handset straight into my pc/tablet ect. I just am after a wifi version so I can sit in my armchair and pretend i'm outside like a pro. :)

Edited by DeathWarpedUp
  • Like 1

Solved it,  wheeled my arm chair into the garden 😁 Easy fix really (got the missus to do it) :D:D

Actually I got a US friend who is looking to bring over one from link above by Astromuni. Will post if it's a nay or yay.

Thanks all

Edited by DeathWarpedUp
  • Haha 1

Although I am an astronomy beginner I do have goals!!! One of them is to convert my living space into a Mission Control theat even Davros would be proud of. I am looking eventuially to have a totally witeless and cable-less set up. 

So I've been doing a lot of research and during the course of that I have bookmarked numerous articles. I link below to a therad where someone shares their experience of trying to achive 100% wireless an d the things they did along the way. A long read but interesting, I thought.

FWIW, i.e. although I'm a newbie to all this kit, my curret plan is to go with the Sky-Fi adapter. Although expensive, it seems that is not a toy, unlike Celestron's stocking stuffer wifi effort.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/650258-wireless-remote-control-of-cpwi/

(I hope this is OK to link to other astronomy sites - I had a look at the rules here and couldn't see that it wasn't allowed. If it isn't allowed, then my apologies.)

Edited by StarGazingSiouxsie
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, StarGazingSiouxsie said:

FWIW, i.e. although I'm a newbie to all this kit, my curret plan is to go with the Sky-Fi adapter. Although expensive, it seems that is not a toy, unlike Celestron's stocking stuffer wifi effort.

Could I ask what you are basing this conclusion on? I have the Skyportal and it works fine - a small device that connects to and draws power from the mount so no extra batteries or cables required. It's also the same device found within their wi-fi enabled mounts, so widely used. I can see the advantage of the Sky-FI for those who might want to upgrade mounts in the future or can't use the Skyportal (because they do not have a Celestron mount), but I wouldn't dismiss Skyportal as a toy - and it is less than half the price of the Sky-FI III for the same functionality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shimrod said:

but I wouldn't dismiss Skyportal as a toy

Totally agree with Shimrod, the only thing to watch out for with Skyportal WiFi Module is that make sure you purchase a Mark III 2.4Ghz version.

It is distinguished by not having a reset button, and is named celestron xxx in SkySafari App.

Versions one and two had bad network reception, so avoid those in the secondhand market.

• Like 1

@shimrod 

@Mick H

Helllo :) 

My cyncism - perahps, I admit,  a bit hasty as I am a relative newcomer to telescope equipment with an inherent steep learning curve-  is based on several things.

When I purchased this item it did look like a toy!!! ;) But seriously, I think it is way over priced for what it is. Supply & demand, supply & demand. So many people I have spoken to have expressed real disappointment with the SkyPortal, reporting issues such as the inability to workl even a few feet away from the telescope. 

But - and it's a big butt, like mine - they could have, and probably were, referring to the SkyPortal's previous incarnation, the SkyQ Link. I understand it was this product's poor field performance that led to the new & improved - hoepfully - Sky Portal; essentiallyt the same items, with a few technicAl tweaks and a new name. 

I have purchased the newer version, without the reset button, and I'll be testing it soon. Hopefully, everything crossed, it works and will part of my plan to have a completely cable-less and wireless set up. 

I will endevour to reign in my assessment of items that I have yet to actuallyt test - even though my cat did run off with it thinking he had a new toy ;)

@shimrod

Hi again. Can I ask what sort of distance you are able to connect to your telescope with the SkyPortal, please? And are you using Direct Connect or Access Point mode?

I am hoping to connect from about 30 feet away, with a glass patio door the only barrier between telescope and laptop (aside from my ineexperience) Does this sound doable?

Thanks

8 minutes ago, StarGazingSiouxsie said:

On a general not in relation to wifi telescope control, I found this article by Michael Swanson and thought it was very informative so I thought I'd share it here. His whole site has been a source of a lot of great information for me in general.

https://www.nexstarsite.com/PCControl.htm 

He is also a regular poster over at CN.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StarGazingSiouxsie said:

@shimrod

Hi again. Can I ask what sort of distance you are able to connect to your telescope with the SkyPortal, please? And are you using Direct Connect or Access Point mode?

I am hoping to connect from about 30 feet away, with a glass patio door the only barrier between telescope and laptop (aside from my ineexperience) Does this sound doable?

Thanks

I'm afraid I can't really answer that, because I am generally only a few feet away from the mount - I don't think I have tried it any further than six feet. It's now somewhat less than that, as I attached a USB hub to my tripod and added in a USB wi-fi dongle so the distance is now about one foot. I did this so I could also connect my laptop to the internet through the in-built wi-fi rather than any connection issues. I use the direct connect mode.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StarGazingSiouxsie said:

@shimrod

Thanks

I connect mine via Access Point mode, and probably get more than 30ft.

Plus it seems more stable than Direct Connect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mick H said:

I connect mine via Access Point mode, and probably get more than 30ft.

Plus it seems more stable than Direct Connect.

That's where you have to get SkyPortal to join your home wireless internet network, correct? How braincell taxing is that to do? Fairly straightforward, or? Thanks

14 minutes ago, StarGazingSiouxsie said:

That's where you have to get SkyPortal to join your home wireless internet network, correct? How braincell taxing is that to do? Fairly straightforward, or? Thanks

Yes  Siouxsie, home wireless internet network

You must first connect via Direct, once you have done that move the switch on SkyPortal Module to Access Point mode, and select Access Point mode in SkySafari or SkyPortal App.

Easy really, was for me.

Edited by Mick H
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mick H said:

You must first connect via Direct, once you have done that move the switch on SkyPortal Module to Access Point mode, and select Access Point mode in SkySafari or SkyPortal App.

Easy really, was for me.

Thanks Mick. Sounds like you're connecting via smart phone or tablet (?) I will be connecting via a laptop and won't have access therefore to either of those apps. But I will have access to Starry Night Pro (which comes with my telescope, apparently).  CPWI is also an option. The advantage of CPWI is that they have built in remote access to the Celestron focus motor, which I will be installing. Stellarium is another option, but I've heard mixed reports about that (for remote access via laptop). I'll probably end up trying all of them, collapse on a heap on the floor, then draw straws to chose one. That's my usual routine ;) 

Edited by StarGazingSiouxsie
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, StarGazingSiouxsie said:

Sounds like you're connecting via smart phone or tablet

Both, but love the larger screen of the iPad, and don't have to add time/date/location each time.

I also connect via usb cable to my MacBook Pro, and use SkySafari 6 Pro or Stellarium.

Even have my own background view in both those programs.

CPWI is great, but only available for Windows. 

Edited by Mick H