Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Sky Portal Wifi adaptor alternative?

8 minutes ago, Mick H said:

Even have my own background view in both those programs.

Could you tell me more about that, please? Are you saying you can have a portrayal of the horizon as seen from your location on the screen, with the night sky around it?

I was wondering about this possibility over the last few days. I was thinking if it were possible to, say, interface Google Earth from one's own location with one of the astronomy apps such that the horizon as seen from one's observing position could appear on the image of the app. 

Siouxsie, I took a 360° panorama view from my location using mobile phone camera.

Then make the sky sky transparent in photo editing program, this now lets SkySafari/Stellarium display the sky at your present location.

See image below.

sky.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StarGazingSiouxsie said:

Thanks Mick. Sounds like you're connecting via smart phone or tablet (?) I will be connecting via a laptop and won't have access therefore to either of those apps. But I will have access to Starry Night Pro (which comes with my telescope, apparently).  CPWI is also an option. The advantage of CPWI is that they have built in remote access to the Celestron focus motor, which I will be installing. Stellarium is another option, but I've heard mixed reports about that (for remote access via laptop). I'll probably end up trying all of them, collapse on a heap on the floor, then draw straws to chose one. That's my usual routine ;) 

You can do the same thing Mick H is describing from your laptop as well. I am using Starry Night and CPWI to control my mount. I upgraded to Starry Night Pro from the Celestron SE 7 version. I believe you get different versions of the software depending on what mount you buy. You can also do focus motor control from Starry Night as well.

• Like 1

The last piece of the puzzle for me achieve my goal of a completely wireless / cable-less set up will be the camera. I will have my Star Sense Auto Align camera atop Cubble, with that and the focus motor plugged into the aux ports (AVX mount). I will have the Sky Portal WiFi module plugged into the bottom of the Star Sense hand controller. For power I will be using a Celestron Lithium Powertank (Celestron item 18771). I also have a Celestron GPS unit but I'm not sure if I need it now, or if I'll have a spare aux port to plug it in. I am getting an aux splitter anyway. 

Until I become more expereinced, I am uising my USB cabelled Celestron NexImage 10 which I thought was a good entry level camera to get. So, as far as I can see, the only cable I willl have coming into Cubble Control will the camera USB cable. Eventually I would like to have a set up whereby the camera is wireless / cable-less, too.

Thoughts / comments?

Edited by StarGazingSiouxsie

9 hours ago, StarGazingSiouxsie said:

The last piece of the puzzle for me achieve my goal of a completely wireless / cabless set up will be the camera.

For that you will need something like this:

ZWO ASiair Pro Wireless Astrophotography Controller

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-accessories/zwo-asiair-pro-wireless-astrophotography-controller.html

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StarGazingSiouxsie said:

@Mick H

Thanks, Mick. I will have a good look at that. Reminds me a bit visually of the Eagle series control boxes. 

Good read here Siouxsie, check London_David detailed post:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, StarGazingSiouxsie said:

I also have a Celestron GPS unit but I'm not sure if I need it now, or if I'll have a spare aux port to plug it in. I am getting an aux splitter anyway. 

Controlling your mount from a network connected laptop (or a tablet), date/time and location will be taken from those so no need to use the GPS.

• Like 1