Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with Skywatcher star adventurer payload

Hi,

A quick question on the starwatcher sky adventurer payload.

The advertised payload capacity for this mount is 5kg.

Currently with the set up I have:

Redcat 51 1.8kg

Skywatcher guide and zwo 120 mini 0.5kg

Canon DSLR 1kg

Dovetail and counter weight (the ones that come supplied) 1.7kg 

Gives a grand total of 5kgs, well actually a bit more because I rounded down the above weights.

This is more than double the recommended payload of 2.5kgs.

So i have two questions.

Does it matter? 

Are there anyways to reduce this?

I also assumed that the supplied dovetail and counter weight should be part of the payload capacity. Im not 100% sure this is a correct assumption. If it's not then I'll be running the rig at 3.3kg which is fine by me.

Thanks,

As James correctly said, the counterweight isn't counted towards the load capacity of the mount.

It isn't just about the weight. Two factors to consider are the total weight (excluding the counterweight) and also where it is located e.g. Mass * Radius * Radius.

It is easier for the motor to guide/rotate if the weight is closer to the point of rotation. So given a choice of weights hanging off the end and more closer to the point of rotation the latter is preferable.

Hanging a guide scope outside of a main scope is an example of adding weight in the wrong place - problem is that it's not easy to do something better.

Simon