NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

smartphone mount alternative

Dannomiss

So I've looked at so many smartphone adapters and haven't decided which one to go for yet. However i bought this C clamp and I'm starting to like it. One benefit and you may disagree and please do disagree if you think it's not a good idea, but the thing i like is, its not attached to the actual lens which means the eye piece can be focused without the phone spinning around as well.

Also it can attach anywhere and so can be used a star guide with an app. 

The only thing I've found is lining up the lens on phone to eye piece but once you have that it seems to work well with the BST star guide lenses. Also the tightening screw doubles up as a little handle to move the telescope left and right.

The phone clamp was off another adapter and didn't come with the clamp.

See what you think though

20200630_173237.jpg

20200630_175838.jpg

20200630_175925.jpg

20200630_173302.jpg

20200630_173514.jpg

20200630_174143.jpg

20200630_175828.jpg

20200630_173246.jpg

neat idea, especially with a helical focuser where hanging the phone off it can mean the EP rotates and focus is blown. I'd say if it works for you then it's perfect :) 

Hardest part I find is getting the phone camera, well the right one of the cameras, aligned and level and the right distance from the EP to allow for eye relief such that you get a usable image in the camera. Been considering a Celestron NEX-YZ but finding one in stock at the moment is the problem given the times.

• Like 1

Oh you can get a Celestron NEX-YZ easily enough. That is if you want to pay £69.00 on eBay. 🤬🤬🤬

Love the TS smartphone holder but that screws onto the eyepiece so you need a Baader or Pentax eyepiece that has the screw thread on the top.

33CBFF27-C672-4131-B017-2A876D74FB8D.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

Hardest part I find is getting the phone camera, well the right one of the cameras, aligned and level and the right distance from the EP to allow for eye relief such that you get a usable image in the camera.

Yeah on my Huawei phone it has 3 cameras so was always a struggle lining up the main camera. I just took the whole thing off and set it up from scratch and was about 3-4mins to put mount on and line up, so not too bad :) not a bad day time picture

20200630_183602.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarkAR said:

That's probably about time we get clear skies again.😰

Too right ay. Craziness. Wanted to get my second picture of the moon and its going to be cloudy here for quite a while yet 😔

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

30 to 40 days availability at FLO. Don’t know of anyone willing to pay the eBay price gouger.

Just think of it as every day you wait you save £1.😊  That's enough for a moon filter.

• Haha 2

The Celestron NEX-YZ is OK but certainly has it’s faults. Main one being that once you get it adjusted correctly just one little  knock and it needs adjusting again. Wish they would put locks on the adjusters. If you get one buy some self adhesive rubber sheet as only one jaw of the clamp has rubber on it and the other jaw is hard plastic so needs covering with rubber so it won’t slip. Also being plastic it sags a bit. 

So yes it works but wish they would bring out a MKII version.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1